2500$ Skylake build

Solution
You have expensive taste... The motherboard, memory, power supply, ssd, and psu are all spec'ed higher than you will use in gaming or overclocking. I recommend dropping the tier of each of them because you will not see performance differences with those expensive pieces of hardware vs their cheaper counterparts.

The PSU is kind of an exception but it has a lot more juice than you need. A high quality PSU can save you money in energy costs alone over multiple years if constantly powered.

I would have assumed this same build were to be $1600-1800. $2400 is a lot more for not a lot of gain.

game junky

Distinguished
Good build - the board doesn't support quad-channel so you might as well get a (2X8GB) kit instead of (4X4GB). For even the highest-end gaming, that PCI-E drive is overkill. I would go with an M.2 - Samsung makes an 850 that will fit and is fairly inexpensive $/GB but their performance M.2 drives would be closer in comparison to the IO on that PCI-E SSD. Unless you've married any of the features on the deluxe, I would go with the Hero model instead for your board. Here's what those tweaks would look like

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qdzcK8

gilbadon

Distinguished
You have expensive taste... The motherboard, memory, power supply, ssd, and psu are all spec'ed higher than you will use in gaming or overclocking. I recommend dropping the tier of each of them because you will not see performance differences with those expensive pieces of hardware vs their cheaper counterparts.

The PSU is kind of an exception but it has a lot more juice than you need. A high quality PSU can save you money in energy costs alone over multiple years if constantly powered.

I would have assumed this same build were to be $1600-1800. $2400 is a lot more for not a lot of gain.

Solution

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

Thanks for spotting that memory setup. I don't know why I assumed all skylake boards would be quad channel.

Considering both comments I revised my specs. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Mj7jxr
I kept the PSU for possible second GPU in the future though, I will see how the VR thing plays out for now.