2500K 98 degrees at 3700 Mhz

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Hello,
I've bought a new boxed 2500K along with an ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard. When idle the CPU stays at about 37c but under load when turbo is on it reaches 98c ! And I haven't even overclocked it. The voltage is not high at all, only 1.25v or so.
I'm using stock cooler, I thought I installed it wrong but I've double checked and then took it off and applied third party thermal paste but no result. The cooler is fixed very well, and its radiator gets very hot under load, so I think it's not the problem.

I see three possible reasons:
- the CPU is defective
- something wrong with my power supply
- temperature readings are wrong

Now I know the second one sounds strange, but It came to mind because it's the only part from my old PC and It had some CPU heating problems as well. And I've never heard of a CPU issues causing that serious overheating.
I have a couple days to return it so any ideas are highly appreciated!

Seriously sounds like your HSF is not installed properly....getting to 98C? Definitely a HSF problem.

Did you apply the paste correctly? Did you apply just enough, and not too much or too little?

By the way, try using REAL TEMP and get back to us.

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I double checked the HSF. I even took the mobo out of the case and made sure the plastic things are locked on the other side of the board. I used a rise sized drop of TP in the middle of the CPU plate. And this is the third PC I put together and never had this issue before.
I've tried Real Temp, Aida and whatnot, they all show the same results.
I think the CPU is really bad. It's Made in Malasya btw.

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
So I finally returned the CPU and the MoBo. There was a problem with one of them I didn't have the chance to ask what it was.
Got the new ones but this time the CPU is made in Costa Rica.
4500Ghz, 1.35V, ~77c in Prime. 56c in WoW. I'm a happy man now )

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks!
BTW is there any chance to go higher with this motherboard?
I've tried running it at 4600Mhz but it sets 1,56 volts which seems too high. If I use any negative voltage offset I can't even go into bios and have to jumper reset.

I know it isn't the preferred thing to do (in fact it should always be avoided, when possible), but try using TurboV EVO in AI Suite to set the Vcore. I have the P8Z68-V LE, but it still has the limitation of not being able to set manual Vcore in the BIOS, so I know how it is with trying to work with the offsets only. For me, I have to set an unrealistically low Vcore with TurboV EVO (1.105V to get to 1.240V at 4.1Ghz at idle (because I have SpeedStep disabled and I'm using the High Performance power plan in Windows). It's 1.192V at 100% load). I'm pretty sure I could go lower, I just haven't tried yet, since the temps aren't through the roof, like they were when I first started messing with the Vcore to lower the temps. In any case, try working with it to see what happens for you.

And yes, 1.56V is WAY too high, lol. Stay under 1.4V, if you can. 1.5V and above is just asking for trouble and a quite probable very short lifespan of the CPU.

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Yeah, I shut it down as soon as I've seen those numbers :)
I'm using a Contac 29 BP.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Is 4500 a decent OC for this motherboard? What is the maximum frequency you guys think I should be able to reach at reasonable voltages with this mobo?

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

I've tried that, and it does let me drop V noticably. Thanks, great tip!
However it resets the setting everytime I reboot. Another consern I have is that voltage might be too high before the windows and AI Suite are loaded. So with this board it seems to be touch and go.

Colud you recommend a board for reaching 5Ghz?

Yeah, that's why (or at least one of the main reasons why) using software for Vcore adjustment should be avoided. If you want to stay with Asus, the P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 would be the way to go.