2500k + Noctua d14 temps too high or normal?

Farfly

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hi, my case is a cm storm trooper with window (so no intake fans on side), and i have the 2500k with the noctua d14, in winter the temps were 26c for the cpu and 28-32c cores, now the ambient temps have increased a little, i would say is 24c
And the cpu cores are at 35-38c at idle, are these temps ok?

I did a prime95 test and get this resoults at 4.5 overclock
Core1: 58c
Core2: 62c
Core3: 65c
Core4: 58c
Cpu is at 52c

So i think that are good temps for load but not for idle, should i put new thermal paste? The last time i did it was 1 year ago

Thanks and regards from Spain

there pretty much what you should be getting. the cpu is 6-10'c over ambient at idle so thats normal 2. you could bump the fans idle speed a few 100 rpm but you wont get much of a drop in temps as the coolers themselves only start working properly 1s the cpu gets up to 25-30'c below that it wont effectively whick the heat away.

Farfly

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I have not tried 4.6 or 4.7 but i think it will no get more than 70c at load but i dont need ir right now, what im worried are about iddle temps that 2 weeks ago were 6c less than now, maybe the increase of temps in my area do that but i dont know, i think i should change the termal paste again.
Thanks

it could be down to how tight you have the cpu cooler clamped.
why? (this is gonna get a little geeky)
when you fitted the cooler, you did it on a cold day so the metal parts would have ever so slightly contracted. so when you tighten everything up to the correct tolerance it all worked great. as the days warm up the ambient temps start to clime and the metal parts start expanding.
this in turn increases the mounting pressure. this can affect how well the cpu heat spreader contacts with the coolers heat sync. this added pressure, even though very slight may be enough to change the efficiency of the thermal paste leading to increased temps. the reason i mention it is with the high end coolers mounting pressure is as important as picking good thermal paste.

either that or you need to clean your fans and vents.

http://www.overclockers.com/heatsink-mounting-pressure-vs-performance/
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,review-32804.html

tech-wreck

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
i assume you regularly clear the case and cpu cooler of dust? i noticed a drop of 2-3c on all the temperature readings after taking it outside and blasting it with the hoover in blower mode, now it idles around 28-30c (stock 2500k because stock cooler).

Farfly

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
The case fans are clean, the filters too, i think it could be what you said, when i put the cooler was a cold day, i just need to remove it, apply new thermal paste and adjust it perfectly, apart from clean the heatsink that maybe is not clean.
Thanks

i wouldnt bother going as far as remounting. just loosen off the hold downs and re-tighten them. if you get a slight cracking sound as you loosen them they were on to tight.
honestly though its your max temps you only need worry about. your idle temps are pretty much irrelevant as they can vary much more due ambient temps and low power states.

Farfly

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I have put new thermal paste (noctua h1), re-attach the heatsink and clean the coolers and the temps are just 2 degrees lower but basically the same, so it will be the ambient temp than is rising here in Spain, so if the cpu max temp is 52 and the cores up to 65 its all ok.
Thanks