2500k overheating during gaming

stephanmmjohn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
Hello, my first post here :). So i have a 2500k, its not overclocked or anything like that so i have the stock CPU cooler. I never had my system BSOD or shut of on me, however I noticed that my CPU got as hogh as 81 degrees Celsius when I was playing BF4. Although on idle, the highest core temperature is 33 degrees Celsius, even during about 10-15% load.

I ran Prime95 for about 5 (or even less) minutes and the temperature got to the mid-high 90s on all the cores at 100% load, so i quickly shut the test down.

What might be the possible factors that are causing this?

list of things to cross out would be:
-heatsink not in place properly (it is as the idle temperature is normal)
-not enough cooling in the case (GPU is doing fine)
- overclocking (have not overclocked).... CHECK UPDATE down below please.

possible factors that could be, which would need further elaboration from you fellas:
-thermal compound
-over volting ? (I did not do it personally but something could have lol?)
-stock heatsink sucks?

Update: my motherboard is an Asrock extreme 3 gen 3. The motherboard utility is telling me my CPU speed is 4000 mhz when I started playing BF4. I did not overclock whats so ever so I dunno what is going on.

Solution
The stock fans are certainly lacking. It is probably a combination of having stock intel paste, the intel cooler, and not enough cool fair for the cooler to use. The easiest fix would be to grab an aftermarket cooler for $20. It should come with better paste than intel stock, but you can always get AS5 or something for like $5-10 at radio shack. Try this big list for coolers, prices and where to buy on the internet:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu-cooler/#sort=a6

robax91

Distinguished
The stock fans are certainly lacking. It is probably a combination of having stock intel paste, the intel cooler, and not enough cool fair for the cooler to use. The easiest fix would be to grab an aftermarket cooler for $20. It should come with better paste than intel stock, but you can always get AS5 or something for like $5-10 at radio shack. Try this big list for coolers, prices and where to buy on the internet:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu-cooler/#sort=a6

Solution

stephanmmjohn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014

So as i said on the update, the motherboard utility was overclocking the CPU without me actually telling it to. I set it to 3.5ghz NOW so i shall be back with another update. but thanks for the reply :)