2500k Voltages and Temperatures

kidersxbulwark

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I just got an i5 2500k. I've also installed a CM 212 Evo. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard.

CPU-Z was reporting a VCore of around 1.28v at stock clocks with the auto setting. I just lowered it to a manual 1.150 in the BIOS because that seemed way too high based on what I was reading online.

Running Prime95, CPU-Z reports a VCore of 1.104v (also a 3.3Ghz clock -- I've disabled TurboBoost if that matters) under load. My core temperatures are 41C to 45C in HWMonitor. They were around 50C to 53C with the old VCore setting, though I read those temperatures in SpeedFan (they seem slightly higher than HWMonitor)

It should also be noted that I haven't done any long-term stability testing. I've passed a single Prime95 test under these conditions.

Was the auto setting just high or am I missing something? Also, are those good/reasonable temperatures?

Also, CPU-Z is showing an idle voltage of 1.140v. Huh???

Solution
A lot of things going on here, but first off, the temps are perfectly fine (even before you lowered the Vcore). But yes, the Auto voltage was overshooting a bit for stock.

Second, when you set a manual Vcore, it will stay at that voltage (or close to it, hence 1.140V) even at idle. I have to use offsets with my board anyway because I don't have the option of using a manual Vcore, but using offsets allows the Vcore to drop at idle.

Just to show you what temps you should be shooting for with the Evo, my temps @ 4.5 and 1.277V load voltage with Prime 95 are in the low 60's. I have my Evo set up in push/pull, but it's only a few degrees warmer without the extra fan.

And stick with HWMonitor. SpeedFan is hit or miss these days with newer...
A lot of things going on here, but first off, the temps are perfectly fine (even before you lowered the Vcore). But yes, the Auto voltage was overshooting a bit for stock.

Second, when you set a manual Vcore, it will stay at that voltage (or close to it, hence 1.140V) even at idle. I have to use offsets with my board anyway because I don't have the option of using a manual Vcore, but using offsets allows the Vcore to drop at idle.

Just to show you what temps you should be shooting for with the Evo, my temps @ 4.5 and 1.277V load voltage with Prime 95 are in the low 60's. I have my Evo set up in push/pull, but it's only a few degrees warmer without the extra fan.

And stick with HWMonitor. SpeedFan is hit or miss these days with newer Intel hardware.

Solution

kidersxbulwark

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

Thank you. I'll look into offset.