240ssd
1tb hdd
Intel stock cooler
Gx300 case
400w psu

My question is what cpu to use, i have both:
2500k or 3470 which one would get the best of it,
On 1 side on paper the 2500k is faster,
But i heard that the 3470 has better ipc( which mean it might be faster in real life test) and also a higher dorect x support, 10.1 vs 11

Is this valid? Relavent? It will be played on lower end games, not apex or warzone pubg...

Probably gta,cs fortnite and those type of games which are leas demanding
Thank you in advance.

Solution
If this page is correct:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/493/Intel_Core_i5_i5-2500K_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-3470.html

then there's a slight benefit to 3470, but you might not notice the difference much. A slight increase in IPC, but a 100MHz less clock speed.

On the plus side, the 3470 consumes slightly less power (77W vs 95W). The 2500K, being a K processor, is overclockable, but that's hit or miss, and will increase power consumption and heat.

The integrated graphics will not do well for gaming. Do you have a discrete video card that you plan to use? If so, which one?

Also, I'm concerned about the PSU, what brand and EXACT model is it?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If this page is correct:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/493/Intel_Core_i5_i5-2500K_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-3470.html

then there's a slight benefit to 3470, but you might not notice the difference much. A slight increase in IPC, but a 100MHz less clock speed.

On the plus side, the 3470 consumes slightly less power (77W vs 95W). The 2500K, being a K processor, is overclockable, but that's hit or miss, and will increase power consumption and heat.

The integrated graphics will not do well for gaming. Do you have a discrete video card that you plan to use? If so, which one?

Solution
i'd go with the 3740. it should be very similar, but its on the 22nm process, meaning its more power efficient.

as King_V mentioned, if you had good cooling (which you dont) you could overclock the 2500k, but, there are 2 issues. you have bad cooling, and the h61 chipset you have does not support overclocking.

If this page is correct:

he has a gtx 1650, and since that is a low end system, as long as he has a branded psu, that wont explode it should be fine.

acaciusx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
If this page is correct:

Thank you all for the answers
The psu i got is:
Couger rs 400( i was told he had np with that gpu)
Its an asus 1650 2oc 2 fans
And you are right i jave no oc capabities with this motherboard( as Z ones are just too costly to combine with cheap cpus like these) i realy tried to put my hands on 1 but they cost half of the entire build include the gpu haha...

So i guess ill do the 3470 ..
Would just like ur opinion again, revisit this build now that i specified the entire system, im not aiming too high, just aomething simple that will work fine( hopefully)...
And having said that, just aside question, would putting a generic 400w( one that used on office computer) is a risk?, I should go with the brabded couger rs400 and not be a cheap bastard and choose a generic non labled one? Hehe

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Take a look at the first link in my sig. I don't think I would trust a Cougar PSU.

The generic 400w one is probably also not trustworthy. Some are good, some are terrible. I'd like to see the power-specifications label on it before making a recommendation. Your system doesn't need a LOT of power, but I would prefer to stick with a safe, high quality unit.

If you really need to do this on a budget, the second link in my sig makes some recommendations. Frankly, I would go with the Corsair CX450 (2017) power supply. Are you buying in the US? If you're in Europe, the Corsair Vengeance is also acceptable.

Keep in mind that with the pandemic, and in the US with the tariff war with China, power supplies are currently kind of overpriced.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Im about to assemble a computer,
The parts i have:
Asrock p71(h61)
2x4 1333
1650 asus
240ssd
1tb hdd
Intel stock cooler
Gx300 case
400w psu

My question is what cpu to use, i have both:
2500k or 3470 which one would get the best of it,
On 1 side on paper the 2500k is faster,
But i heard that the 3470 has better ipc( which mean it might be faster in real life test) and also a higher dorect x support, 10.1 vs 11

Is this valid? Relavent? It will be played on lower end games, not apex or warzone pubg...

Probably gta,cs fortnite and those type of games which are leas demanding
Thank you in advance.
Both processors have about the same performance at stock and turbo speeds. If you could overclock the 2500K it pulls ahead by a good bit . 10 / 15% (no overclocking on your board that I know of) Buy the one that cost less.

The rest of the specks don't really matter!

Your looking at like a 200 / 220 Watt PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anonymiter

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cougar doesn't make psus, as such, they are the House brand of HEC/Compucase, which historically made miserable psus, but for some of the new Cougar psus are actually very decent. The old RS line from 2010/2011 isn't one of the good ones, tested samples blew up at rated wattage. Something to think about if that Rs400 is really a 350w psu.

3470 hands down. Clocks and IPC aside, Ivy-Bridge brought much more to the table than Sandy-Bridge is capable of internally. You'll have less issues with pcie3.0 compatability, Sata 6G etc.

Plus you might get lucky. Ivy-Bridge cpus (if bios allows) can bump turbo clocks up 400MHz, putting it distinctly ahead every which way over a non oc'd 2500k.

Last edited:

acaciusx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Cougar doesn't make psus, as such, they are the House brand of HEC/Compucase, which historically made miserable psus, but for some of the new Cougar psus are actually very decent. The old RS line from 2010/2011 isn't one of the good ones, tested samples blew up at rated wattage. Something to think about if that Rs400 is really a 350w psu.

3470 hands down. Clocks and IPC aside, Ivy-Bridge brought much more to the table than Sandy-Bridge is capable of internally. You'll have less issues with pcie3.0 compatability, Sata 6G etc.

Plus you might get lucky. Ivy-Bridge cpus (if bios allows) can bump turbo clocks up 400MHz, putting it distinctly ahead every which way over a non oc'd 2500k.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/dj2EVfX"><a href="//imgur.com/a/dj2EVfX"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

U dont thinknit is good enough for a simpel system like that?

And i jave all the rest of the parts allready..
Btw this h71m-dgs igot has a. Blue pcie, dlesnt that mean its a pcie 2.0?

acaciusx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/dj2EVfX"><a href="//imgur.com/a/dj2EVfX"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

U dont thinknit is good enough for a simpel system like that?

And i jave all the rest of the parts allready..
Btw this h71m-dgs igot has a. Blue pcie, dlesnt that mean its a pcie 2.0?
https://www.imageupload.net/image/052ar

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, colored slots by themselves don't mean anything. Many vendors use color just because. Gigabyte used to use green, orange and pink slots at one time. Asus has used black, blue, grey. Msi used black, red, yellow.

What will determine what the board actually uses will depend on the board itself, most of the budget boards had pcie 3.0x16 top slot, pcie 3.0 x16 (x4) bottom slot.

acaciusx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
No, colored slots by themselves don't mean anything. Many vendors use color just because. Gigabyte used to use green, orange and pink slots at one time. Asus has used black, blue, grey. Msi used black, red, yellow.

What will determine what the board actually uses will depend on the board itself, most of the budget boards had pcie 3.0x16 top slot, pcie 3.0 x16 (x4) bottom slot.
Ohhh thanks for this clarification,
Yes indeed it has a blue pcie 3.0 x16 top
And a tiny pcie 2 x4 in addition, ty.