250GB hard drives shows 465GB unallocated. Old RAID-0 drive

Zekeuyasha

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have a 250GB hard drive (WD2500KS) that once lived in a RAID-0 setup with another identical drive. I want to format this drive so I can use it again, but plugged into my PC, Disk Management lists the disk as Not Initialized, with 465.66GB Unallocated. Weird right?

using DiskPart's Clean function did not solve the problem.

HDSentinel is the only program that accurately represents the drive as 232.9GB, but when I do a surface test it lists the disk as 465.66GB Otherwise reported as 100% healthy
Power on time: 778 days, 10 hours
Total stop/start count: 3,275

Partition Wizard Home Edition lists the drive as (Bad Disk) 465GB and will not let me interact with the drive in any way.

TLDR: Hard drive still thinks its in RAID and reports a capacity of double what's on the label

How do I fix this?

Solution
Hi Zekeuyasha,

So right now the drive is not in RAID, but it is still connected in the same PC where it used to be connected in RAID, right?

Do you have other hard drive connected in this PC? Open the BIOS menu and check if the drive is in RAID mode. If there are no other drives in the system, you should try changing that mode. Another option is to connect the drive to another PC where RAID has not been used.

It was a good idea to test the drive’s condition. I recommend you to do it using Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, the diagnostics tool of Western Digital. I leave you a download link below:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ZgZQYZ

If the issue persists on another PC and the drive appears in bad condition, it may be better...

John7128

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Hi,

This is definitely weird and hard drive should not be acting or reporting wrong info, they can't (unless SA is corrupted or scratched)
I would use HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool from HDDGURU, to perform a low level format, then initialize the drive.

While you are there, use MHDD too to diagnose your drive, see how many bad sectors, or if there is a head damaged....it will show you "ready" if the drive is ok to be connected to ("RDY").

R2D2_WD

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Hi Zekeuyasha,

So right now the drive is not in RAID, but it is still connected in the same PC where it used to be connected in RAID, right?

Do you have other hard drive connected in this PC? Open the BIOS menu and check if the drive is in RAID mode. If there are no other drives in the system, you should try changing that mode. Another option is to connect the drive to another PC where RAID has not been used.

It was a good idea to test the drive’s condition. I recommend you to do it using Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, the diagnostics tool of Western Digital. I leave you a download link below:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ZgZQYZ

If the issue persists on another PC and the drive appears in bad condition, it may be better to replace the HDD in order to avoid data loss in the future.

Hope this helps

Solution