250GB or 500GB ssd on old laptop

Oct 28, 2018
Hello everyone,
I have to make my mind up and i thought maybe you can help me.

The disk from my laptop needs to be replaced. I have a lenovo ideapad, i5, 6 GB Ram but i've been using it almost 6- 7 years. All these years i didn't do any service.... and hadn't any problem until now (blue screens).

So my dilemma is should i go for 250gb because it has a more affordable price or go for a 500gb?

250GB would be enough if i use sound software (cubase, wavelab) and some plugins, photoshop and maybe i install adobe premiere.. ? Or should buy 500GB?

Before the damage i was thinking in a year from now (or maybe 2 ) to buy a new laptop. If so, i was thinking to put the 500GB ssd to the new laptop.. But i am worried that if i buy the 500GB if there is any chance that the 500gb ssd can break down? Or should i better buy the 250 GB ssd and store on a external disk until i buy a new laptop?

What do you think?

Solution
Finding a new laptop in which you can easily fit an old SSD will greatly reduce your options. The fashion for slim designs means that many current laptops make it more difficult, or often impossible, for users to replace the disk drive (or anything else, including the battery).

If it were me I would keep the laptop going with the cheapest possible drive (maybe even a HDD) and put the saving towards a better new laptop with a larger SSD.

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018
Finding a new laptop in which you can easily fit an old SSD will greatly reduce your options. The fashion for slim designs means that many current laptops make it more difficult, or often impossible, for users to replace the disk drive (or anything else, including the battery).

If it were me I would keep the laptop going with the cheapest possible drive (maybe even a HDD) and put the saving towards a better new laptop with a larger SSD.

Solution