2560x1080 vs 2560x1440 for gaming

Evoke186

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
i'm going to be getting a new monitor soon, and i'm trying to decide between 2560x1080 (ultra wide) and 2560x1440 (1440p).
it would be a 29 inch ultra wide vs a 25 or 27 inch 1440p.

which is better for gaming? i'm having a hard time deciding. i'm leaning towards 1440p but ultra wide seems interesting too...

PS: i currently have a 27 inch 1080p monitor

Solution
2560x1440 > 2560x1080.

As previously said you would limit yourself in vertical space. A lot of games don't support (nicely at least) the 21:9 ratio. Movies and content in general also don't always support that ratio.

If you are not planning to upgrade your gpu anytime soon i would suggest to not go with either one. Both resolutions would be really taxing on new titles for a 960. You would have to lower your setting by quite much in order to have enjoyable fps. Or even worse, as mentioned, play a lot of your games in window mode. Since the scaling on the monitor would really suck.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I'll give you some info. At one point I was going to buy an Ultra Wide Monitor. The 29" version has one big issue I couldn't get past. You will have the vertical real estate of roughly a 24" monitor. Since I would never use anything less than 27", that size was not an option for me. I was going to go for an LG 34" Ultra Wide Screen but right before I pulled the trigger I read that Blizzard did NOT support Ultra Wide Monitors and Starcraft was one of the games I had been playing. In the end, I ended up getting a 27" BenQ 1440 Monitor... it seems to be nice...

If you do decide on getting an Ultra Wide... I recommend you get the 34" instead if you have the desk space for it...

Evoke186

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015

my current card is a gtx 960 which i know is not good for 1440p, but i will be upgrading when pascal comes out.
also will having a secondary monitor that is larger than the main monitor be weird? main monitor would probably be 25 inch 1440p, secondary 27 inch 1080p

EPC AntiMatter

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

Depends on your setup i have a 4k 32 inch as a main display and then 2 smaller monitors and my laptop positioned on a u-shaped desk. I think how it looks is personal preference. It also depends on what you use the additional monitor for if all you're going to do with it is do some web browsing or keep communication software like skype/teamspeak/discord/etc. open then it hardly needs to be a high-resolution monitor. Multiple monitors are fantastic though if only so you don't have to alt-tab so much. Never go back! :D

This is exactly what I was going to say.

OP, if you do buy an ultra widescreen monitor, make sure the games you play will support the resolution and aspect ratio, otherwise you'll have to use windowed or borderless windowed mode. All too often, developers only support 16:9 resolutions.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
2560x1440 > 2560x1080.

As previously said you would limit yourself in vertical space. A lot of games don't support (nicely at least) the 21:9 ratio. Movies and content in general also don't always support that ratio.

If you are not planning to upgrade your gpu anytime soon i would suggest to not go with either one. Both resolutions would be really taxing on new titles for a 960. You would have to lower your setting by quite much in order to have enjoyable fps. Or even worse, as mentioned, play a lot of your games in window mode. Since the scaling on the monitor would really suck.

Solution