May 28, 2020
hi everyone,

i set up my new computer the other day (self-built, first time) and im not able to use 2560 x 1440 resolution. the recommended resolution is automatically set to 1980 x 1080, and when i go into display adapter properties there is no option for 2560x1440 in the list. many online suggested setting a custom resolution using the AMD control center, but the problem is when i update my graphics drivers the computer bugs out (it often freezes momentarily, screen goes black then it resumes again). this means i have to use the generic windows graphics driver, and i cant access the control center unless i have an amd driver installed (it works fine like this, the only issue is i cant go above 1980x1080 resolution, and with my large monitor this looks very blurry).

my monitor (Lenovo 27" QHD Q27 q-10) and graphics card (ATI HD7570) both support 2560x1440 resolution. there shouldn't be a clash with the cpu because it is AMD as well (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6ghz). for reference, my motherboard is MSI pro-series AMD ryzen B450-A pro max, ram is G-skill 16gb ddr4-2400 x2 and power supply is EVGA 700 B1 80+ Bronze, 700W Power Supply 100-B1-0700-K1 450W. my harddrive is Silicon Power COMDI Silicon Power 1TB SSD.

i tried uninstalling everything with ddu in safemode, and updating drivers through device manager, as well as by downloading drivers directly from the amd website. i reinstalled windows, and i've tried the custom resolution utility but that also hasnt worked. i have tried using older versions from the AMD website and had the same results. aside from the freezing and flashing screen, when i use the newer drivers i cannot access the AMD settings (when i click on the icon an outline of the settings programs shows up but it never fully loads). to make things worse, for some reason when i restarted my computer it changed my resolution to 1920x1440p and i can't go higher than that. the 1980x1080 option is no longer there.
i hope thats not too much text, but it is a very complicated situation. please let me know if you have an suggestions

thanks