[SOLVED] 256gb RAM

prime8zero

Honorable
May 5, 2015
Hi Folks, hope all is well man! Just need a touch of guidance pls! I’m doing a build & am stuck with the know how around the ram slots. My soon to be motherboard, has 8 slots & Max’s out at 256gb. Can I buy & fit 128gb (4 x 32gb) RAM Kit. & then down the line buy another 128gb (4 x 32gb) set of DDR4 RAM? Will the Mobo allow me to do that?

If so. What would work best? 2 separate lots of 128gb of RAM first & get the other 128gb kit, whenever I can afford itl. Or does buying the whole 256gb at once work better? Maybe cos 256gb are all from the same batch?

I’m struggling to find the 256gb money without bankrupting myself for a while. I’ll do it if it’s the best decision. But would love the breathing space & split the payments between 2 kits of 128gb!

I know this might sound mad. But I’m slowly gonna build a powerful production centre. One I’ve been dreaming of for ages! Looking at the Threadripper Pro 3955WX & a relevant motherboard. With 8 slots. & hoping down the line the 64 core comes down in price! & maybe even used, & get one in a few years time!

I’ll use the setup for modelling & V editing. & audio production. I know people have said it’s overkill but I’ve also seen how quick production companies can render full animated scenes With a 64 Core Threadrippe Pro!

I’m looking at the long haul. My only worry is, by the time I can afford the 64 core. Will there be newer cheaper CPUs that will out do the 64 Core in sy 2-4 yrs time, in pure compute power?

Any ideas & bad tongue lashing welcome. I want to get this right & would appreciate being pointed in the right direction!

Thanks my friends. Take care & I look forward to hearing from you all, good & bad :)

Last edited:
Solution
What’s both your thoughts in going the Threadripper Pro route base cpu
pertaining to future CPUs and possible buyer's remorse after the next couple generations have released;
you will never know for sure what may be just over the horizon and even if it's reported performance will equal what you see in real world scenarios.
the best thing to do is just keep an eye on AMD & Intel press releases and leaked information about any upcoming product.

Intel's 12th gen & AMD's Zen 4 are both around the corner so if you aren't currently working on any extremely large projects that actually require this system you may want to wait and see what happens with prices and their new product lines' performance power.

prime8zero

Honorable
May 5, 2015
Agree with the above, buy the RAM as a single set.
Cheers my friend, thank you both for getting back to me!

Can I also ask pls. What’s both your thoughts in going the Threadripper Pro route base cpu. With looking to get the 64 core in a few years time. Do you feel that would work well for me in the long run. or will the cpus in a few years out do this current 64core considering the pricepoint it may be at then?

Just hoping in a few years it may half or more in price. I know it’s hard to say but thought I’ll buy the 16 core now & work hard & buy the 64 in a couple years time?

Thanks my friends. Take care man!

USAFRet

Titan
Ultimately, this whole system depends on your actual use case.

Modeling, video, audio....sure.
But unless this is in an actual production capacity for $$, probably way overkill.

You can't worry about what may or may not come out in the future.

prime8zero

Honorable
May 5, 2015
Ultimately, this whole system depends on your actual use case.

Modeling, video, audio....sure.
But unless this is in an actual production capacity for $$, probably way overkill.

You can't worry about what may or may not come out in the future.
I hear you, & just got a ton of ideas for special effects & modelling & film ideas. Got a little loan & trying to make a base system I won’t have to touch or upgrade for a while. So thanks my friend I can only focus on buying this stuff now anyways, I don’t have 64 core monies! :)

Thanks for your time mate. Finger crossed it’ll work out well for now with the 16 core for the moment!

Cheers man!

What’s both your thoughts in going the Threadripper Pro route base cpu
pertaining to future CPUs and possible buyer's remorse after the next couple generations have released;
you will never know for sure what may be just over the horizon and even if it's reported performance will equal what you see in real world scenarios.
the best thing to do is just keep an eye on AMD & Intel press releases and leaked information about any upcoming product.

Intel's 12th gen & AMD's Zen 4 are both around the corner so if you aren't currently working on any extremely large projects that actually require this system you may want to wait and see what happens with prices and their new product lines' performance power.

Solution

prime8zero

Honorable
May 5, 2015

Hi my friend. Man you’re spot on! That was in the back of my mind also! My 1st ever build was in November time. & a few months later (that felt like minutes) the next gen came out! So yeh I best take that into consideration! Thanks for the heads up! I do actually need a laptop, also, preferably as powerful as poss. Maybe I should hold off & get something that‘ll allow me to function for a while in a laptop, & see what comes out next year hopefully before the end of the 1st quarter? Cheer my friend, I appreciate your input! All the best.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
unless something is a couple weeks away i never worry about what's next. intel and amd do not release at the same time which means there is always something promising to be better "coming soon" you'll never ever buy anything that won't be better with the next generation. all you can do is get the best for your money now and worry about the next gen when it is time to upgrade.

you'll be chasing the latest greatest and never get to enjoy what you have now. unless you got a bottomless wallet it is impossible to stay with the current gen at all times. build to the max now and in a few years if it stops doing what you need, then start looking at upgrades or a new build.