Question 256gb SSD already in hp Pavilion gaming laptop

Oct 2, 2020
I'm looking in my friend's hp Pavilion gaming laptop. Before, he only knew there was the first HDD which was the boot drive that had 250 gigs. I went into the back of the laptop to see if I could install another HDD. To my surprise, there was already an SSD back there. It was being held by this bracket and not actually connected to the motherboard. The sticker on the m.2 SSD read 256 gb. I connected it and turned it back on. I went to disk management to allocate it. Nothing was there. Any idea as to why and how I can fix it?

Oct 2, 2020
Im confused how many drives are connected ?
The 250gb hard drive is connected. I opened it up to see that there was an m.2 in there being held by a bracket and not connected. So I took it out of the bracket and connected it. I went into disk management but the m.2 is not showing up in there. The HDD and m.2 are connected but the m.2 is not being recognized.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Do you have a link to the specs of this laptop ? I would first remove the m.2 drive and try it into a working machine.

Oct 2, 2020
Screencap of the Disk Management window, please.
Sorry to waste your time. Apparently the HDD that I saw wasn't an HDD. It was an "HDD stand in". Kinda like the plastic that goes on plugs when you first buy them. Apparently the SSD WAS connected and was the boot drive. I just didn't realize. I removed the HDD stand I'm and hooked up the new HDD. Everything is fine now. Sorry about that.

Oct 2, 2020
Do you have a link to the specs of this laptop ? I would first remove the m.2 drive and try it into a working machine.
Sorry to waste your time. Apparently the HDD that I saw wasn't an HDD. It was an "HDD stand in". Kinda like the plastic that goes on plugs when you first buy them. Apparently the SSD WAS connected and was the boot drive. I just didn't realize. I removed the HDD stand I'm and hooked up the new HDD. Everything is fine now. Sorry about that.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Thats good news then everything is working and you have a spare drive just in case you want to upgrade. It never a waste of time because you were able to find your answer well done xD