sinusoid

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I just got a 2600K and got a Cooler Master N520 to keep it cool. at 4.0 Ghz with the fan running at 1800 RPM (full speed) I am at 66C under full load. I oc'd up to 4.4, but it was maxing out at ~95C, so that didn't last long. Is this the right cooler to use for oc'ing? and if not what would be a suggested replacement?

Solution
Those temps. seem fine. However, if you want to overclock the processor even further, you'd have to get a better cooler.

Temperatures matter on how efficiently your case is cooled, too.

@ AdrianPerry
+1

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I am using a Coolermaster V8 and idle at 38-40C on OC speed of 4.2. Under load it will manage around 50 or so.

The fan was replaced and two more fans are aimed at the thing. I have a replacement cooler ordered, one of those big Zalman nickel plates I will hold off on the H100 for now.

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Check out this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
It's cheap, and it works very well. Note, however, that it is really large. So make sure your case has room for it before you purchase.
Obviously, 95C is not acceptable. If you want to do some serious overclocking, try looking into some water cooling options. There are some very basic self-contained ones you can get. If not, the air cooler I linked there is one of the best.
Also note that it only comes with one fan, but you can attach one to the other side of the heatsink if you have room.

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Those temps. seem fine. However, if you want to overclock the processor even further, you'd have to get a better cooler.

Temperatures matter on how efficiently your case is cooled, too.

@ AdrianPerry
+1

Solution