2600x High Temps

Jun 21, 2018
Hello,

I just switched from a i7-4770 to a Ryzen 5 2600x. Im using a Arctic Freezer 33 and both cpus were/are stock. My 4770 was idle 30 C and max 60 c under full load. My 2600x idle is 40-60 C (jumps around alot) and max 71 C but avg. arouind 60 C. Im just wondering if this is normal and if I should upgrade my cooler for longevity of my CPU.

Thanks

Solution

No, temps are high, so it's not normal. The cooler seems to be rated just fine for the CPU. Its rated 150w and the CPU is 95w TDP so you won't be going much over that even on a high load.

You may have to reseat it and re-apply thermal paste. I suspect that's the issue.

Get a decent thermal paste, like Thermo Grizzly or MX5. Also make sure you have some good airflow in your case.

no. he's not fine.

Here's a rough guide:

Idle - 30-35c
Load (Gaming) - 45-65c
Stress load (Prime95 small FFT's) 65-80c.

That's where temps should be roughly.

Averaging 60 is not great. Safe, yes, but far from ideal. OP's idle temps at 40c would be okay, and could be accounted for by high ambient temps, but if it's fluctuating up to 60c, something is wrong.

Jun 21, 2018

I've remounted it twice and it seems to stay around 45-46 C and then randomly spike to 56 C sometimes (at idle). I also have A-XMP enabled if that matters what so ever. It seems pretty stable but I'm just so used to 30C on my 4770 that it seems strange. Any advice? Should I consider a new cooler?

Jun 21, 2018

I've remounted it twice and it seems to stay around 45-46 C and then randomly spike to 56 C sometimes (at idle). I also have A-XMP enabled if that matters what so ever. It seems pretty stable but I'm just so used to 30C on my 4770 that it seems strange. Any advice? Should I consider a new cooler?

Hmmm. what paste are you using? Are you just using a 'pea sized' blob. If you don't apply the paste correctly it won'e set properly and can cause issues.

Ahh. Okay, on the temps jumping 10c randomly, that's actually normal. I've the same on my 1600x. My CPU idles in low 30's, but when I open lets say Chrome or something, i instantly get a spike of 10c and then it settles again. So that's not a problem. Don't worry about that. It is after all a 6c/12t CPU and it will spike like that.

You could try another cooler, but that one seems decent enough from all accounts. I have a wraith max cooler. I was lucky enough to get it free with my build. It's 140w, and with my OC i hit max of about 125w on the CPU so it does me fine for my OC. Your cooler is rated higher, but for the same TDP CPU. So it should work just fine.

Are you OC'ing the CPU? You could try run the voltage lower which will reduce the heat. Run coretemp and get the VID for your CPU (it needs to be at stock to be accurate) then report back. It could be the mobo is overvolting on auto and just giving to much juice when it might not be needed, and you could back on.

Edit: Also run an instance of HWMon, let the PC idle for 20 mins and take a screenshot of HWmon and post it here. Thanks.

Jun 21, 2018

Im using MX-4 and not overclocking. Its pretty stable at 46 C and I stressed tested it using CPU-Z for a few minutes and it maxed at 81 C. I was looking at the Dark Rock 4 but I also have the wraith spire cooler that came with the CPU aswell.

Looking at the product page for the Arctic Freezer 33, it looks like the cooler is designed to shut off its fan at idle, operating in a "semi-passive" mode, which likely explains the higher than normal idle temps...

Semi passive cooling

By semi passive performance the Freezer 33 provides again a special feature. A sophisticated fan controller that was developed by German engineers allows passive cooling of the CPU during simple applications such as surfing and creating documents. The 120 mm fan only starts up at a PWM signal with 40 % pulse width. This saves energy, extends the service life and makes the cooler at low load completely silent.
According to that, the cooler is likely operating as designed. Such idle temps themselves are not really a problem, and are unlikely to harm the CPU. You could probably adjust the fan curve in your motherboard's settings to prevent it from dropping below 40% if you really wanted it to not shut off though.

CPU-z stress does not really stress test your CPU. Something like Prime95 small FFT's will. Then you will know what your true temps are. If you are happy with the temps and it doesn't cause you problems, then work away. The temps are high, and with CPU-z the fact your hitting 81c is not where I would want to be. It's too high.

I guess, at 'normal, everyday' usage the high-ish temps won't harm the CPU. Still, something is not quite right.

That's interesting. Your point about setting a more aggressive fan curve might help, but even still the high 81c on CPU-z is too high IMO. At stock and with that cooler, I would think it would be 10c lower. And that's for all the other temps mentioned too. Idle, 40-60, gaming max 71c, CPU-z stress 81c. It's like a uniform 10c over what it should be.

Jun 21, 2018

So is this a problem with my CPU Cooler? I have pretty good airflow.

Yes, that's possible. If you post a screen shot of HWMon at idle we can look at a few things, and see what kind of max voltage you're hitting on auto settings. It's possible as cryoburner mentioned, with a better fan curve and a setting a specific voltage instead of auto settings, you could get the temps much lower.

HWmon will also show us, CPU/GPU usage, voltage, power, ram utilization, system fan rpm, cpu fan rpm among other things.

Jun 21, 2018

https://gyazo.com/494668d69f5aaad133cde07fa341e75f
https://gyazo.com/8f733301760d5381c15fd4d087aca165

Also the cpu cooler seems to be able to move a slight amount back and fourth. It cant move off the CPU but it can slide due to the fact that the AM4 Bracket that came with the Spire cooler has smaller studs than the holes in the mobo. Is this a problem too?

yes, that's a problem. The cooler if not mounted with right bracket and standoffs will not dissipate the heat properly. The cooler should be pretty solid to the touch, with no movement back or forth.

also, the HWmon shots, the voltage looks a little high on auto. the min value is 1.38. You could set the voltage manually in the bios to something like 1.325. that will reduce the temps a little, and would be a good place to start for a set voltage for 24/7 operation.

Solution
Jun 21, 2018
So it happened to be the screws I was using with the Arctic Freezer 33. Apparently the intel ones I used for my last mobo were to long and I changed them out for the shorter ones that came with the cooler and now I idle around 46 C and dont go above 65 C during cinebench runs and CPU Z stress tests. Thank you all

Glad it got sorted :)