Question 2600x to 3700x

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
With this upgrade will I notice a big difference gaming even in 1440? or is it not worth it? I've noticed in benchmarks my CPU has let me down especially in Timespy. Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte partner RX5700XT oc card
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
2x 16gb DIMM DDR4 @3200
GA-A320M-S2H-CF Motherboard
EVGA 650w QG

Id probably get a new MOBO like tomohawk max, would probably need new ram to so would it be worth it ? Pro's and Cons please..

Hi, please dont mind about userbenchmark, try to get search on reviews from know sites like TomsHardware or Guru3d, or youtube like Hardware Unboxed, Gamer Nexus, Derbauer, Tech Deals, etc.

Heres one of them for example, there are many more on the web and youtube:

- https://www.techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/ (if you like to see the video instead, Youtube -> Hardware Unboxed + Ryzen 5 3600). Yes I know it said 3600 but it has the info you need.

On your questions the 3700X will be a decent diference over the 2600X, but not that big. If you wana save some money and don't worry about OC the 2600X, my advice will be get a Ryzen 5 3600 and a decent cooler (for example: https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html) and just let the new Ryzen 5 3600 work its boost magic.

PD: There are other very good cooler brands, like beQuiet and Noctua (but more expensive).

Cheers.

Reactions: kingbowcat

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Thanks. Could I use the cooler on my 2600x? or is that not up to scratch?

I think id be better off with the 3600x and not spending the extra money on new mobo correct? BTW that review site is really good. On userbench it says the 3600 is backwards compatible on 300 series boards does that mean I wont have to flash the bios or will I? :(

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
Thanks. Could I use the cooler on my 2600x? or is that not up to scratch?

I think id be better off with the 3600x and not spending the extra money on new mobo correct? BTW that review site is really good. On userbench it says the 3600 is backwards compatible on 300 series boards does that mean I wont have to flash the bios or will I? :(

You will need to update your BIOS, unless you already have the latest one installed (like the one that updates to AGESA 1003 ABBA).

But really if youre not having issues at 1440p, like frame drops or poor 1% lows (horrible gameplay performance) I don't think you need to upgrade your CPU at all. I would wait till next year for the Ryzen 5/7 4xxx ones!!!

3500X would probably be slower than the 2600X you have...

As long as you are not seeking 100/144 Hz on games that seem t o thrive on Intel cores, it is hard to fathom the 2600X at at least 4.0 GHz on all cores being inadequate for any games....(being at 1440P makes it much less likely that your GPU is going to allow any super high FPS anyway, but, your minimums should be fine w/ the 2600X based on all reviews I've seen. Will it match a 9700K? Probably not, but it does not need to; we just want realistic expectations)

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I do play on 144 hz but my 2600x does seem to do alright though I think its slowing rendering of certain graphics down in 1440p as the cpu needs to communicate to the GPU for the GPU to produce the new frames? As you can tell im no expert haha. A 3700x should solve this issue? I don't like the idea of waiting a whole year though :p

I wouldn't worry about what timespy says. That CPU is more than enough for that graphics card. Here's the problem. You simply don't have enough GPU anyway for 1440p 144hz gaming. While 'yes' an intel or 3rd gen Ryzen will enable higher maximum framerates and a bit higher averages the difference in the real world wouldn't be very noticeable. No way would I upgrade from a 2nd gen Ryzen already. I'd wait at least another generation. Besides you're not going to notice the upgrade anyway for gaming. Do something useful with your money instead of putting it toward something that's not going to do anything for you yet. I'm using an RTX 2080 ti with a Ryzen 5 2600. And while yes there is a bottleneck at 1440p high refresh rate it doesn't matter to me because I play at 4k 60hz.

Hmm this bottleneck page says the 3700x will cause a large bottleneck with my GPU

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_7_3700X/Radeon_RX_5700_XT/0Ud14j28/8/

Is this nonsense?
The bottleneck calculator is no substitute for expert advice from people who know the parts. In fact it's wrong a lot of the time. In fact you'd want a way more powerful CPU than the GPU. That way there is headroom for upgrades. The GPU should be the top priority though and if you have to skimp a bit on the CPU to move up a GPU class I say do it but only within reason.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Why don't I have enough GPU for 1440 ? I get 70 FPS in 1440 144 Hz highest settings and it's smooth in outer world's and new tomb raider game/benchmark. Just some graphics take longer to render especially on benchmark zooming into the village. I think this is CPU issue not giving GPU frames fast enough?