Question 2640v3 clock frequency dropping to 1197 MHz?

Dec 19, 2022
xeon e5-2640v3 is unlocked turbo boost to 3.4ghz, but after few minutes of gameplay it dropps to 1197Mhz and gets stuck on this low clocks until i change resolution (then change back). but after a few minutes it dropps again. any clue? the current undervolt is 50/50 and mobo is a Huananzhi Qd4, both from Aliexp.

Try using ThrottleStop.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Is the Limits button unlocked on the main screen? I believe your CPU supports this feature. The Limit Reasons data will explain why your CPU is throttling. If it shows BD PROCHOT lighting up red, try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop.

Post some ThrottleStop screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows while your CPU is throttling. There should be a clue in that info.

Make sure SpeedStep is enabled in the BIOS. People that recommend disabling EIST or SpeedStep do not realize that this can cause a CPU to get stuck at a low frequency.

Reactions: BiluTheAlien
Dec 19, 2022
Try using ThrottleStop.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Is the Limits button unlocked on the main screen? I believe your CPU supports this feature. The Limit Reasons data will explain why your CPU is throttling. If it shows BD PROCHOT lighting up red, try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen of ThrottleStop.

Post some ThrottleStop screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows while your CPU is throttling. There should be a clue in that info.

Make sure SpeedStep is enabled in the BIOS. People that recommend disabling EIST or SpeedStep do not realize that this can cause a CPU to get stuck at a low frequency.
man, i opened throttlestop and opened gta4 so i could screenshot it while throttle and... its not throttling anymore, atleast with throttlestop open lol
keeps between 3093mhz and 3398mhz in the game now

Different game, throttle again. here are the screens:
qJBYV81.png

5BYCAeZ.png

yQ9JLY3.png

Last edited:
throttle again
You have to push the Turn On button if you want ThrottleStop to do anything with the CPU multiplier.

Did you open up the Limit Reasons window to look for any reasons for throttling while your CPU was stuck at the 12 multiplier?

Check the High Performance box near the top left of ThrottleStop's main window to switch to the Windows High Performance power plan. This keeps the CPU at its maximum speed regardless of load.

Check the Set Multiplier box so this data is sent to the CPU and press the Turn On button at the bottom. The ThrottleStop title bar should not show the word Monitoring in it.

Clear the BD PROCHOT box.

In the Turbo Power Limits window I would clear the Disable Controls box in the Power Limit Controls section. I would clear both Clamp options and I would increase PL1 and PL2 to at least 150W or 200W. The default 90W PL1 setting is not much for an 8 core CPU.

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option and go play a game or do something with your computer for at least 15 minutes. When done testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file. You can copy and paste the log file data to

www.pastebin.com

Reactions: BiluTheAlien