[SOLVED] 2666 cl15 vs 2800 cl19 ram for i7 7700hq laptop?

Solution
Well, I installed the game, but unfortunately I didn't think ahead and made sure if there's even a built-in benchmark tool in Fortnite, which there isn't, so I would have to spend way too much time to do repeatable tests with meaningful results when compared to eachother.

I don't have much knowledge of the game or maps, so I wouldn't know how to find a way to reapeat a gameplay sequence which would give comparable results each time. And when the results are expected to have a very similar value, it is going to be impossible to verify if the performance changes are due to the hardware changes or other variables caused by other factors in the game.

There are too many variables when doing a "manual benchmark", which can produce...
May 24, 2020
you wont get any pleasing results since you use a laptop and a intel, yet it depends on your laptop motherboard compability for ram speeds. unless you're someone that do rendering and stuffs, faster ram could help you a bit. What laptop do you have anyways?
I have a Lenovo legion y520 , I mostly do gaming please help me and tell if it is gonna increase my fps in fortmite like how much I know it supports 2800 cl19 as I am using it currently btw the ram I am planning to buy has xmp also

well it wont, and a ram with smaller CL would help increase some performance than with higher CL. if you want a better performance, though this is not recommended, overclock the GPU instead. also if you currently only use 1 slot of ram, it is better to buy a ram kit, it would help increase the performance (ram kit is a must)

May 24, 2020
well it wont, and a ram with smaller CL would help increase some performance than with higher CL. if you want a better performance, though this is not recommended, overclock the GPU instead. also if you currently only use 1 slot of ram, it is better to buy a ram kit, it would help increase the performance (ram kit is a must)
Ok so I won't buy , already oced and undervoltef the GPU have 2 ram sticks and can you suggest somethjng cpu wise how do I increase cpu performance aready turbo boosted all cores

its a mobile cpu, and its an HQ in the end of the series name, unless you have a HK in the end of name series it could be overclocked. and i think it already pretty much it, your top achieveable performance, unless if you got a pc you could uprade and increase the performance.

With an Intel CPU like yours, the performance difference between 2666MHz CL15 and your current OC'ed 2800MHz CL19, is so small I doubt you'd be able to see the difference while gaming.

I used to have a set of 32GB Kingston 2666MHz CL 16-18-18-39 which I replaced with a set of 32GB Corsair 3333MHz CL 16-18-18-36 RAM, and I'm unable to tell the difference in performance, unless I use an FPS counter or run various benchmark tools.

I can measure the difference, but I can't actually see it with my own two eyes.

Although you can't compare our systems directly, I just ran a 3DMark Firestrike Benchmark for fun, with my RAM at 2666MHz and at 2800MHz (same timings in both runs = 16-18-18-36)

Here's a link to the online comparison between the two runs

Most of the differences fall within the margin of error, and especially in Graphics Test 1 and Graphics Test 2, the difference is so insignificant, that they can't hardly be noticed in real life, in my personal opinion - and at a closer look, it seems like the benchmark isn't even precise enough to accurately measure the difference.

As an added comparison, here a link to the performance increase from 2666MHz CL 16-18-18-36 to 3500MHz CL 16-18-18-36 (+834MHz)

As you can tell, Graphics Test 1 and 2 still fall within a 0.5% difference with the 834MHz increase, and could be down to margin of error again.

To try an actual game, I also ran the built-in benchmark in Far Cry New Dawn, and at 1080p there was a 3 FPS increase (from 116 to 119)to the AVG FPS from 2666MHz to 2800MHz, while at 1440p there was a 2 FPS increase (from 106 to 108) in AVG FPS.

2 - 3 FPS isn't really noticable unless you are currently seeing very few FPS with your laptop.

From 2666MHz to 3500MHz in Far Cry New Dawn, there was an 8 FPS gain at 1080p in AVG FPS (from 116 to 124), which is a bit better.

SO - In short, If I was in your situation, I personally lower your current RAM OC a bit and see if you can tighten the timings instead (CL19 at 2800MHz is not impressive), or completely disable the OC, to be honest.

It could be interesting to see what your RAM OC would look like at 2666MHz and the best Cas Latency you can achieve with your current RAM at that frequency.
(and compare that to the Kingston RAM you are considering to buy - and then reconsider the 100 USD investment).

But in my opinion, 100 dollars USD for the 2666MHz Kingston set, is too much money for such a small potential increase in performance - you may not even notice any difference, which I personally think is what is going to happen.

In a worst case scenario, if your RAM run hotter when OC'ed, the heat build-up when using a laptop, could in theory affect GPU and CPU clocks in a negative way. It is probably not a likely scenario, but there are sometimes negative impacts seen in realtion to overclocking.

As Koekieezz has already mentioned, I honestly don't see a lot of potential for increasing performance much more than what you are already seeing with your current setup.

EDIT:
I chose the Firestrike Benchmark because it runs at 1080p and is less demanding to run, since you specifically mentioned Fortnite which isn't extremely demanding to run, and you have a laptop with a 1080p display.

Last edited:
Reactions: mctrader07
May 24, 2020
With an Intel CPU like yours, the performance difference between 2666MHz CL15 and your current OC'ed 2800MHz CL19, is so small I doubt you'd be able to see the difference while gaming.

I used to have a set of 32GB Kingston 2666MHz CL 16-18-18-39 which I replaced with a set of 32GB Corsair 3333MHz CL 16-18-18-36 RAM, and I'm unable to tell the difference in performance, unless I use an FPS counter or run various benchmark tools.

Although you can't compare our systems directly, I just ran a 3DMark Firestrike Benchmark for fun, with my RAM at 2666MHz and at 2800MHz (same timings in both runs = 16-18-18-36)

Most of the differences fall within the margin of error, and especially in Graphics Test 1 and Graphics Test 2, the difference is so insignificant, that they can't hardly be noticed in real life, in my personal opinion - and at a closer look, it seems like the benchmark isn't even precise enough to accurately measure the difference.

As an added comparison, here a link to the performance increase from 2666MHz CL 16-18-18-36 to 3500MHz CL 16-18-18-36 (+834MHz)

As you can tell, Graphics Test 1 and 2 still fall within a 0.5% difference with the 834MHz increase, and could be down to margin of error again.

To try an actual game, I also ran the built-in benchmark in Far Cry New Dawn, and at 1080p there was a 3 FPS increase (from 116 to 119)to the AVG FPS from 2666MHz to 2800MHz, while at 1440p there was a 2 FPS increase (from 106 to 108) in AVG FPS.

2 - 3 FPS isn't really noticable unless you are currently seeing very few FPS with your laptop.

From 2666MHz to 3500MHz in Far Cry New Dawn, there was an 8 FPS gain at 1080p in AVG FPS (from 116 to 124), which is a bit better.

SO - In short, If I was in your situation, I personally lower your current RAM OC a bit and see if you can tighten the timings instead (CL19 at 2800MHz is not impressive), or completely disable the OC, to be honest.

It could be interesting to see what your RAM OC would look like at 2666MHz and the best Cas Latency you can achieve with your current RAM at that frequency.
(and compare that to the Kingston RAM you are considering to buy - and then reconsider the 100 USD investment).

But in my opinion, 100 dollars USD for the 2666MHz Kingston set, is too much money for such a small potential increase in performance - you may not even notice any difference, which I personally think is what is going to happen.

In a worst case scenario, if your RAM run hotter when OC'ed, the heat build-up when using a laptop, could in theory affect GPU and CPU clocks in a negative way. It is probably not a likely scenario, but there are sometimes negative impacts seen in realtion to overclocking.

As Koekieezz has already mentioned, I honestly don't see a lot of potential for increasing performance much more than what you are already seeing with your current setup.

EDIT:
I chose the Firestrike Benchmark because it runs at 1080p and is less demanding to run, since you specifically mentioned Fortnite which isn't extremely demanding to run, and you have a laptop with a 1080p display.
Thanks alot for the detailed explanation , I can get max 2800mhz but above 2666 each frequentcy cl19 timings are locked, so I at around 2500 mhz I get cl18 but latency is lower with 2800 cl19, do you suggest I should go to 2500 cl 18 also the default is 2400 cl17, which one shud I prefer and why ? Thanks

May 24, 2020

EDIT:
Can you please test with fortnite and reply please

Thanks alot for the detailed explanation , I can get max 2800mhz but above 2666 each frequentcy cl19 timings are locked, so I at around 2500 mhz I get cl18 but latency is lower with 2800 cl19, do you suggest I should go to 2500 cl 18 also the default is 2400 cl17, which one shud I prefer and why ? Thanks

The performance on your system using any of those combinations is going to be so similar, that I highly doubt you will be able to tell the difference.

If you want to know the impact specifically for your system - try the various stable RAM OC settings you mentioned above and benchmark your laptop using those different OC's and study the results. Remember to let everything cool down between runs, to get the most accurate results - otherwise CPU and GPU frequencies might not be the same between runs due to build up of heat.

The settings with the best stable overall performance, would be the obvious choice.

But I suspect the performance differences are going to be very minor, possibly even difficult to notice.

Can you please test with fortnite and reply please

I don't play Fortnite myself, but I actually think I do have an account. I'll have to install the game, so I might not be able to post the results until tommorrow, it is is a bit late where I live.

But I'll give it a shot, and see if I can possibly do it before I got to bed tonight, I can't promise anything though.

May 24, 2020
The performance on your system using any of those combinations is going to be so similar, that I highly doubt you will be able to tell the difference.

If you want to know the impact specifically for your system - try the various stable RAM OC settings you mentioned above and benchmark your laptop using those different OC's and study the results. Remember to let everything cool down between runs, to get the most accurate results - otherwise CPU and GPU frequencies might not be the same between runs due to build up of heat.

The settings with the best stable overall performance, would be the obvious choice.

But I suspect the performance differences are going to be very minor, possibly even difficult to notice.

I don't play Fortnite myself, but I actually think I do have an account. I'll have to install the game, so I might not be able to post the results until tommorrow, it is is a bit late where I live.

But I'll give it a shot, and see if I can possibly do it before I got to bed tonight, I can't promise anything though.
Thanks a lot for your support! Please try an tell as per your convenience!

May 24, 2020

EDIT:
Also please try to use my ram speed annd timings so thhat I get exact results I know I am asking for abit much but please..

Well, I installed the game, but unfortunately I didn't think ahead and made sure if there's even a built-in benchmark tool in Fortnite, which there isn't, so I would have to spend way too much time to do repeatable tests with meaningful results when compared to eachother.

I don't have much knowledge of the game or maps, so I wouldn't know how to find a way to reapeat a gameplay sequence which would give comparable results each time. And when the results are expected to have a very similar value, it is going to be impossible to verify if the performance changes are due to the hardware changes or other variables caused by other factors in the game.

There are too many variables when doing a "manual benchmark", which can produce irrelevant and inconclusive results, so unfortunately, I can't perform tests in Fortnite for you.

You have to try the different RAM OC settings your system is capable of running yourself, and compare your personal results. Based on your personal results, you should choose the best settings for your specific setup.

But doing the testing yourself, would also provide much more useful results anyway, since it is not really very scintific to compare your laptop and my desktop. The tests I posted in my previous posts were not meant to be particularly solid, it was out of personal interest and because it could be tested easily (Far Cry New Dawn has a built-in benchmark to recreate the same sequence with limited in-game variables every time it is run).

When you test your own setup, all the results are 100% relevant for your computer, because the results you see, are actual results with your hardware.

So if you really want to squeeze every single frame per second out of your laptop, you will have to test yourself.

However, be prepared to spend a lot of time, with results that most likely wouldn't gain much performance over your current setup. The few MHz you can gain in RAM frequency, at the cost of very relaxed timings, is going to produce very similar results for gaming performance, no matter which setting you choose.

If you do want to OC the RAM, I would personally find the best compromise between timings and frequency.
I would most likely just disbale the OC if it was my own laptop.

Remember - increasing my RAM by +834MHz, resulted in a 0.5% gain in performance in the 3DMark Graphics Test 2 benchmark, and I kept the same timings.

In Graphics Test 1, I actually lost 0.1% performance... -both results could be down to other things, such as the temperature of my GPU, which affects boost clock and duration - which in turn affects the results, of course.

Overall, it did result in a small percentage-wise increase in the 3DMark score, when going from 2666MHz to 3500MHz, but translated into real world gaming experience, it is pretty insignificant....
- The difference between your 2800MHz CL19 vs. 2666MHz CL15 will be a lot less than that.

To be honest, I only felt the useful result from my testing would be to demonstrate the tiny change in performance you'd see from overclocking your RAM modules or by spending 100 dollars on new RAM

AMD Ryzen CPUs are currently the ones that actually benefit significantly from memory frequency and tight timings - Intel, not as much (for gaming at least).

Last edited:
Solution