[SOLVED] 2666 vs 3200

langaler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
From what I have read, and I am not very knowledgeable on this stuff, 3200 is the best speed for a gaming machine. With the problems in getting A video card worth buying and the price I was looking at some pre-builds. I found one I like with good specs but the memory is just 2666 and they give no option to up it to 3200. So my question is -Would the 2666 be ok for the build or is it necessary to have the 3200. here is a link ( hope I did it right) to the system I was looking at Build Your PC – Build Redux ? Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated. thanks

Solution
Geeze they are overcharging you over 100$ for that graphics card, but not much you can do given we're in a graphics card shortage. Also for the time being 2666Mhz vs 3200 on a low end CPU such as that 10400 will not really bring much change. It's fine as is. When you start getting into the mid or high tier gaming, then going above 3000MHz is essential in getting the most performance for your dollar.
Geeze they are overcharging you over 100$ for that graphics card, but not much you can do given we're in a graphics card shortage. Also for the time being 2666Mhz vs 3200 on a low end CPU such as that 10400 will not really bring much change. It's fine as is. When you start getting into the mid or high tier gaming, then going above 3000MHz is essential in getting the most performance for your dollar.

Solution

langaler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree on the GPU but when I checked other vendors for just the card it was selling for more then what they were charging me, plus nothing is in stock that's worth a crap for the prices. I was trying to build a PC for my son but he didn't want to wait for the prices to come down and from what I've read it may take a year for prices to settle back down. In my opinion the 1500 is way too much for that puter but it is one of the best prebuilts I could find for the price. Thank you much

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree on the GPU but when I checked other vendors for just the card it was selling for more then what they were charging me, plus nothing is in stock that's worth a crap for the prices. I was trying to build a PC for my son but he didn't want to wait for the prices to come down and from what I've read it may take a year for prices to settle back down. In my opinion the 1500 is way too much for that puter but it is one of the best prebuilts I could find for the price. Thank you much

I feel ya, go for the pre-built if you can't really wait, 100$ extra is better than the 200% increase the other GPU's are going for. The 1660 should last your son for a couple years at 1080p gaming at medium to high settings for most AAA big title games, but for small arcadey games like fortnite or minecraft it has plenty of horsepower. If he wants to stream then it may struggle a little in that aspect. Though since you say you were going DIY at first I take it you were going to build it with him?. If that was the case a good tip is to never build cheap PC's, just like china made goods you end up needing to replace them sooner rather than later if you get what I mean.

TRENDING THREADS