[SOLVED] 2666mhz RAM stuck at 2133mhz, changing BIOS settings does nothing

m3m3g0d

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
I have noticed that in Task Manager, my RAM speed is noted as 1067mhz, which since I have 2 modules installed, adds up to 2134mhz, instead of the advertised 2666mhz that the RAM is meant to be running at.
pmvlo9Fwp

I decided to have a look into BIOS, and sure enough, there was a problem there. My ASRock motherboard's custom OC mode was limiting the RAM frequency, or at least that's what it looks like, despite there being a dropdown to select RAM frequency which was set to 2666mhz.
poAkhaqOp

I then changed the OC mode to "AMD CBS Setting" which seemed to have set the frequency to 2666, as the following screenshot shows, unless I am missing something. Btw, changing the XMP 2.0 profile to 'auto', which I assume is the default setting, does nothing.
pofiDpr9p

However, when I then went back to the main page, it still listed the RAM as running at 2133, which leaves me befuddled.
poAey5GKp

I don't know what to do at this point, it seems that regardless of what I do in BIOS, I just can't get the RAM running at the speed it's meant to. I've double checked with the ASRock webpage for the motherboard model (B450 Pro4) that it does support RAM frequencies above 2133, so I have no clue as to what is the limiting factor here.

Solution
The images show you to be on version 1.3 for your BIOS. Your motherboard's support site shows you have a tonne of BIOS updates to work your way through to reach the latest. Gradually work your way to the latest version, then make sure you're on the latest OS version which is version 20H2. Then manually set the timings of your ram in the BIOS, inputting frequency, timings and voltage.

Lutfij

Titan
The images show you to be on version 1.3 for your BIOS. Your motherboard's support site shows you have a tonne of BIOS updates to work your way through to reach the latest. Gradually work your way to the latest version, then make sure you're on the latest OS version which is version 20H2. Then manually set the timings of your ram in the BIOS, inputting frequency, timings and voltage.

Solution

m3m3g0d

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Oh, right, will do that. Just to make clear tho, can I not just install the latest BIOS update? Does it have to be done in order?

Edit: Also, just since I am completely illiterate when it comes to this, should I update the BIOS to the most current version, or since my cpu is at least one generation out of date by now, is there a point where I should stop?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021
Can 8 GB 2400 MHz and 4 GB 2133 MHz RAM be used together? frequency is 2133 MHz, should I change the RAM frequency to 3200 MHz in the BIOS? ust enabling it would make the motherboard adjust all the needed settings to run that Why is my computer stuck on 2666 MHz speed when it has 3200 MHz RAM?