27" 144hz Monitor vs 24" G-Sync enabled monitor

Javster

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Hey guys, first time posting on here, but I've been lurking in these forums for 10 or 15 years...

So I'm wanting to replace my budget 27" LED monitor I bought some 4 years ago...

I've been leaning towards buying a 24" Acer (XB241H) 1080p with G-Sync. But am concerned about losing screen size. Looking around I can probably buy a 27" 144hz monitor @ 1440p for around the same price... I'm working with a $400 budget here.

My GTX 970 would probably not play nice with 1440p on most newer games, but I'm wondering where my money would be best spent. Should I go with the 24" G-Sync monitor? Should I go with something bigger that runs at 144hz? Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks folks.

Solution
Hi, depends mostly of what you use your PC for.

Some years ago, a monitor would stay with you for years to come. Now every year new technologies are appearing: gsync, advance sync, freesync, displayport 1.3 1.4,... for 2017 is expected the HDMI 2.1 and more, so don’t look for a future proof monitor, just one that can help you now if you are not going to upgrade your PC soon.

Two examples of possible uses:
- If your main use is ONLY PRO GAMING, the Acer is the BEST gaming monitor for the budget at the moment. 144Hz, G-Sync, 1ms Has everything needed. Pro Gamer: best ==> acer XB241Hb
- If you use the PC for more than gaming, or slow/colorful games (Strategy, WoW,...) I would go for 1080p 60Hz IPS (I prefer 24” as my sweet spot for...

Anatole_Malkavian

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, depends mostly of what you use your PC for.

Some years ago, a monitor would stay with you for years to come. Now every year new technologies are appearing: gsync, advance sync, freesync, displayport 1.3 1.4,... for 2017 is expected the HDMI 2.1 and more, so don’t look for a future proof monitor, just one that can help you now if you are not going to upgrade your PC soon.

Two examples of possible uses:
- If your main use is ONLY PRO GAMING, the Acer is the BEST gaming monitor for the budget at the moment. 144Hz, G-Sync, 1ms Has everything needed. Pro Gamer: best ==> acer XB241Hb
- If you use the PC for more than gaming, or slow/colorful games (Strategy, WoW,...) I would go for 1080p 60Hz IPS (I prefer 24” as my sweet spot for 1080p. For 27” I would go no less than 1440p). Also your eyes will appreciate not looking to a TN panel. Or just keep your monitor!

Happy new year!

Solution