Question 27-28 inch monitor - Can you tell difference in 4K over 1440P for gaming

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Would like to know people's thoughts. I sit about 1.5 to 3 feet from monitor

Would 4K at that size be noticeably better image quality over 1440P.

I have a GeForce RTX 4090 with a Core i9 13900K and 32GB DDR5 RAM I am about to put to work. Would it be able to keep up easily at 4K put out 90 to 120 FPS with all settings maxed out including using MSAA or SMAA 2X, 4X or even 8X in latest AAA games?

Would 1440P it be way overkill and give me 150 to 200 FPS or even more which is unnecessary unless you play like the most ESPorts competitive games which I generally do not?

I already have a 1440P but wondering if it is worth at that screen size of 27-28 inch upgrading to 4K 144Hz monitor to put to use with an RTX 4090 like is the image quality going to be noticeably better at 27-28 inch screen size?

https://www.thetechtoys.com/best-monitor-for-rtx-4090/#:~:text=If you want the smoothest,but comparatively gives low FPS.

They seem to suggest even with RTX 4090 which many feel is overkill for anything but 4K (Heck some even say 3090/3090 Ti were, but we all know it was not for 1440P unless you were ok with like 50-60 FPS maxed out in games or did not turn all setting to ultra in games)

Though it doe seem 90 to 120 FPS is clearly smoother and much so even for non super competitive online player games over 50 to 70 FPS, is 150 to 200 FPS or more going to give better experience in games like Read Dead Redemption, Cyber Punk and such single player?

Not concerned about small font at 100% display in Windows desktop and word as I will just make it bigger using Windows display settings anyways.

First this all depends on how good your eyes really are. You will find everyone on reddit is superman and have eyes 10 times better than your average person. :)

It also greatly depends on the distance. You can look the charts up that talk about distance and pixel density.

Basically if you are at the low end of your range of 1.5ft you likely could see the difference but at 3ft you would not.

Data on this seems very subjective. You will find youtube video where people are tested and what they think and what is actual tends to not be the same. But you know there are "pro" gamers that live in their mother basement that swear they can see the difference between 300 and 500fps.

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
First this all depends on how good your eyes really are. You will find everyone on reddit is superman and have eyes 10 times better than your average person. :)

It also greatly depends on the distance. You can look the charts up that talk about distance and pixel density.

Basically if you are at the low end of your range of 1.5ft you likely could see the difference but at 3ft you would not.

Data on this seems very subjective. You will find youtube video where people are tested and what they think and what is actual tends to not be the same. But you know there are "pro" gamers that live in their mother basement that swear they can see the difference between 300 and 500fps.

Well my vision is good not great. Good 20/20. Do you need like super human great eyesight to tell the difference or is normal good vision enough?

Or is it too subjective to what is good and great vison and so many different variables and not just that but also perception and your own opinion.

You likely can tell when you sit close to the monitor but then you have field of view issues. If you sit too close then you have to turn your head to see stuff on the edge of the screen.

I kinda learned this the hard way when I got a 40 inch 4k monitor. It does not work so good for games but is great as a general desktop

Maybe consider a 32inch 4k monitor as a compromise.

Pretty much there is no clear answer because there really is no way to say for sure what different people can and can not see.

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
You likely can tell when you sit close to the monitor but then you have field of view issues. If you sit too close then you have to turn your head to see stuff on the edge of the screen.

I kinda learned this the hard way when I got a 40 inch 4k monitor. It does not work so good for games but is great as a general desktop

Maybe consider a 32inch 4k monitor as a compromise.

Pretty much there is no clear answer because there really is no way to say for sure what different people can and can not see.

Yeah maybe but then at that viewing distance I will have field of vision issues as 32 inch seems kind of big for close up. And I am almost exactly 2 feet. 2 Feet is like close range , Even laptop my head is like 1.5 or even 2 feet away and that screen is much smaller.

And I look around at reviews and see how fast a 4090 even can make FPS at 4K game go on ultra. Though question is on do they have ultra including Anti-Aliasing turned up high or off as that makes a massive difference in FPS as it on high severely drags it down for sharper and better edges of images.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
1. 27" or 28" is good for QHD, for HD at that size I would be able to see pixels. For 4K I would want a screen size at least 32". But the problem is from the distance of 3 feet the screen would be too big, and you will be moving your head, not just your eyes. So that means for my taste and it is very much arguable, it is better for you a good fast 27"-28" QHD monitor.

2. If you are using RTX 4090 just for gaming, and for QHD, yes it is overkill. I had GTX 1070, recently upgraded it to RTX 3070. My CPU is 9700K. My monitor is Aorus AD27Q,and now for the most games my monitor became the weakest link, so my monitor limits the FPS.

TRENDING THREADS