[SOLVED] 27" curved monitors, with 28" inbetween. Good idea?

Xiz

Aug 25, 2020
Hi Guys, Girls and non-binaries.

I've recently purchased 2x 27" 240Hz curved gaming monitors (from Samsung), it takes some getting used to as I've previously used 2x 32" 4k monitors 60Hz.
While the new monitors are SUPER great for gaming, I miss the power of 4k monitors for graphical design and video editing.

So I've done some research, and found out that Samsung has an 28" 4k monitor in the same series as the gaming monitors (design).
How would this look placing this inbetween the 2 curved monitors?
Would it be ideal?
I'm looking for pros / cons from people that uses odd sized monitors.

[27" curve] [28" flat] [27" curve]
1920x1080 | 3840x2160 | 1920x1080

Solution
I'm not sure if you guys misunderstand me :)
I will be using 1 of the 240 27" monitors for gaming. the other one is simply for tasks such as email, netflix etc.
What bothers me tho, is the I'm missing the 4k quality for video/graphical work

That's fine. All I can say. Is if you are persnickety about such things. You won't like having the mismatched DPI or sizes.

Functionally it is annoying as you have a mismatched border between screens. One is 1080 pixels tall the other is 2160 pixels tall. To the computer this mean you have 1080 pixels where the mouse can't cross from the 4K to the 2K screen.

While you may see two screens near the same size side by side. The user interface sees one screen is twice the height of the other...
I've used multiple monitors with minor size and resolution differences and it was annoying. A 4K in the middle of two 1080p monitors would be jarring. Some people it doesn't bother much. Personally I've found I hate mismatched monitors. I wouldn't even consider placing such drastically different monitors together.

Also, I assume you want multi-monitor gaming. Given the dual gaming monitors. A 4K in the middle wouldn't work for that. Even if you dropped it to 1920x1080 for multi-monitor gaming. Assuming it would even work at all. They'd all be limited to the refresh rate of the 4K monitor.

Of course the dual 27" could still be used separately for gaming at their full refresh rate or paired. With the 4K staying by itself.

Maybe just sell or return the dual 27" if still an option. Then get yourself a pair of 144hz 4K screens.

Reactions: Xiz
Most games run on just the primary monitor,
Since you can return the two, I think I would do so and buy a 4k, wide screen monitor for both gaming and desktop work. Perhaps something in the 34" size.
If you have an extra monitor available, put it on one side and use it for such things as email and performance monitors.

Xiz

Aug 25, 2020
I will be using 1 of the 240 27" monitors for gaming. the other one is simply for tasks such as email, netflix etc.

If you don't have a 4k monitor, you will not get the quality your are missing.
If you want 4k, buy 4k.
You can always run a 4k monitor at a lesser resolution.
Buy a good 4k monitor for your main usage and for gaming.
Keep a side monitor for extra stuff.
If you play mostly fast action games and you need more than 60fps, you may need to switch to the 240hz monitor to be primary for those games.
What will be your graphics card?
It takes a very good card to get to 60 fps on a 4k monitor.

That's fine. All I can say. Is if you are persnickety about such things. You won't like having the mismatched DPI or sizes.

Functionally it is annoying as you have a mismatched border between screens. One is 1080 pixels tall the other is 2160 pixels tall. To the computer this mean you have 1080 pixels where the mouse can't cross from the 4K to the 2K screen.

While you may see two screens near the same size side by side. The user interface sees one screen is twice the height of the other. This also effects stuff like a triple monitor wall paper cropping on the lower res screens. Moving windows from one screen to another (small to giant). Other such size anomalies when moving from one screen to another. I just had a 1440x900 with a 1920x1080 I'd hate to think of 1920x1080 with 3840x2160.

You say you just got the monitors today. Do you still have the 32" 4K displays. Why not try one of them with your new screens and see how you like it?

Solution

Xiz

Aug 25, 2020
You guys are right. I appreciate your inputs! alot!

I'll do some testing with the 4k monitor, the only issue is that it doesnt allow for a wall-mount, which is one of the reasons I bought the new monitors, to have them at a good height so my neck doesn't get sore.

I have a Nvidia rog 1080ti-strix gpu which has handled the 144Hz 4k monitor perfectly.

I'll post an update in a week or so, depending on my choice and the outcome!