27" Dell LCD good for gaming?

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I posted the below in the LCD section earlier, but realise that most of the people who will have anwsers will be reading this section....
See below, but basically looking for an affordable (if one exists) large gaming screen....
(FYI running a 8800GTX right now)

Hi,
I’m sure this has come up before but I couldn’t find the thread - I’d like to upgrade my 22” screen (its starting to have issues, green lines etc, and its time to enjoy a bigger screen!)
I’m very keen on the Dell 27” 2709 – I can find it for £375 (refurbished I think – though the site says new but with 30day warranty…)

I’ve seen a lot online about the lag- has anyone tried it out on FPS and seen an actual issue. I game a lot – basically play most games but am obviously most worried about FPS as have got more and more into online FPS (CoD4 and Unreal 3 right now).
Is this going to actually cause me problems – if so, any recommendations??

Thanks,

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
A quick google suggests that it has a response time of 6ms, that should be ok for FPS, at least I have played with response times of 12ms and it was just about ok.

I'd say you could play at 1280x1024 and things should look good but for £375 I would have thought you could get a 26" new?

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
The issues I found online had to do with the input lag rather than the response time. I found one site claim you'd be out by ~3fps...
I was wondering if people had an actual feeling of what that meant?!

In terms of new 26s, haven't looked, so will do now... any recomendations?

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Honestly I wouldnt know about input lag, but in terms of recomendations I have four Samsung Lcds of varying ages, the most recent being a 26" T260 which is great for HD gaming as well as regular use.

I've never had a problem with a Samsung LCD and the T260 is only €350 so you should be able to pick one up in the UK for even less.

Good luck :)

@ TurinX: I`d be more concerned with how the 8800 is going to deal with a native resoloution of 1920x1200, It`ll be the most likely cause of `lag`at such a high resoloution, even allowing for the fairly modest requirements of CoD and Unreal 3.
Yes, you can turn down the game settings but it seems counterproductive to purchase a large screen only to display a poor image on it, unless, of course you intend to upgrade the 8800 in the near future.

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Yup yup, i was going to post a little later quesitoning whether or not it was felt I needed to upgrade to 4890/275... which I'll do if i find i need to play or sillly resolutions!
I thought I'd get the screen first as the GTX is brilliant for my poor 22... also when the GTX was new they had 24 & 30" that people played on... (given, newer games will require newer graphics cards...)

Guessed as much, but you post as newbie so I had to make the point.
Back on topic, I`m using a 24" -va (quite slow) type panel and have no issues with input lag and the previous 19" panel had none either. Unless you plan on playing online seriously (for money) I see no problems with using a flat panel of any size.
As for the upgrade, well, you`ll know if it`s needed anyway and at 1920x1200 you should be looking at the 4890/4870 (1Gb) or GTX275/260 depending on budget.
The regulars here seem to like Samsung although Dell has its followers as well.
If you can, I`d suggest you find a store with monitors on display so you can see what they look like. We all see differently and a monitor is the most importaint part of the system, and usually the one we change the least, so it`s importaint to get the right one.

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Much appreciated - i wanted to get a view from someone who actually plays.
I'm pretty keen on my games, but not that keen!!

I'm planning on heaidng down to my nearest PC world over the weekend to take a look an see, though i doubt they'll let me run CoD!

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
@ cjl, that was my feeling - though those are just the games I play online. I'll keep my 8800 until it can't play the games i want the way i want...

I'm more concerned about whether or not the lag would get in the way of gamming...

TRENDING THREADS