Question 27 inch 1080p vs 24 inch 1080p

Aug 15, 2018
I am planning on buying a 144Hz 27 inch monitor (1440p) for playing FPS games competitively on, however, I have been running 1080p for over 5 years and don’t want to change my settings (nor could my GTX 960 run 1440p at 144Hz). I was wondering whether I would encounter problems using a 1440p monitor for desktop and 1080p in game (bluriness, stretching etc.) or whether I should downsize to a 1080p 24 inch as I do not wish to play games in any resolution except 1080p.

Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've run my 1440p monitor in 1080p before i upgraded gpu and it was decent, it fit the screen, desktop text and playing games was fine.

Monitor is more of an investment, it's usually the component that lasts the longest. If you see yourself upgrading gpu in future then i would go for it. 27" is a good size and 1440p is great, i don't even use anti aliasing in games (more fps :) ). 144Hz on desktop is very good on the eyes too ;P

Check specs/ video connections of the 1440p monitor, it'll probably be using Displayport cable for 1440p/144Hz which should be shipped with. Check your graphics card too for Displayport, it should have.

Aug 15, 2018
I will eventually upgrade the 960 to something more powerful, but will probably keep playing competitively in 1080p for the settings I'm used to - as long as it doesn't look too blurry or stretched (which it shouldn't, its the same aspect ratio) I think it would be a great purchase - I've been using the same monitor for 4+ years so they last a while. Also, the 960 has dual display port, and the monitor only takes 144Hz with a DP cable so I think I'll be okay on that front. Thanks for your input :)

Aug 15, 2018
Oh also I forgot to point out it will be an IPS monitor with 4ms GTG; is this any poorer for twitch shooters than a TN 1ms GTG or will it be unnoticeable at 144Hz (or 165 Hz as I've just learned with overclock)? Thanks!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My screen is an ips 4ms screen too, 4ms is nothing and ips are very quick nowadays with the help of higher Hz. 100+fps would help a lot with input latency of course and find my self in lot of AAA games im not always at that amount of fps @ 1440p or 1080p. Im a twitchy player too (have been since old school TFC/CS days) and i expect my mouse to move on sync and i can't complain. Gsync helps a lot too as there's no vsync lag or screen tear.

Fyi, Freesync now works on Nvidia cards but from 10 series though, so keep that in mind for future info.

TRENDING THREADS