Apr 27, 2018
Hi, so here’s the deal, im building a computer that will have an i7 8700, gtx 1080ti, 32gb ram and some other pretty cool specs, im building it since I want to play the newest games and code, I will use this machine for lots of coding in java, ill run virtual machines and have lots of IDE’s since ill do Android Development. The thing is, Ill need 3 monitors, I know 2 of them but I dont know what to choose as my main one. Here are my options:
  1. LG 34UC79G - 1080p, 144hz, ultrawide
  2. Dell S2719DGF - 1440p, 155hz, not ultrawide
  3. Asus PG348Q - 1440p, 100hz, ultrawide (more expensive, but worth it?)

The thing is, I kinda want ultrawide because its more immersive, it looks more cinematic, also you have more real estate to do stuff, so the questions is, if I were to get the LG monitor, would I really see a difference over the Dell or Asus one in terms of resolution? Would It really be too pixelated or ar these just some things that very picky people say about resolutions. Which one is better for programming and gaming, since Ill do more programming, should I pay more for the Asus one? But will my pc be able to run every game I trow at it with more than 100 fps? (Since the Asus is 100hz I asume I need at least 100fps) And, Is ultrawide better than 16:9?

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
In my opinion, real estate is everything. Which would make me discount the 1080p for your needs. For the same reason I consider the 21x9 superior to 16x9. You can put/see more things.

I've been running a PG348Q for a while and I'm very happy with it. The only point I warn people about is that the desk mount is huge and effectively leaves the monitor standing in the middle of the desk as the back foot projects out several inches. Wall mounting is the only practical solution unless you have a really deep desk.

Working in 21x9 allows multiple applications visible at the same time. Gaming in 21x9 is widely supported, I can't recall any game which I've had problems.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Without question, I would say the first one.

My son has a 34-inch LG 2560x1080 ultrawide with a 144Hz max. The high refresh is not relevant to us, as his video card can't do that, but the display quality is awesome. The particular monitor we have was reviewed here.

SOME might argue that the pixels are too big for that screen size and resolution. I disagree. And my son's much younger and sharper eyes concur on this.

If you go 1440-ultrawide (3440x1440) you're talking almost double the number of pixels, which requires more graphics horsepower. The 1080Ti should be able to manage it at the higher refresh rate, but I personally prefer a little breathing room.

If at all possible, if there's a brick-and-mortar store near you with multiple monitors on display, I'd suggest checking out these models (or similar) in person.

A few games have a problem with ultrawide. That said, I used to think ultrawide was a gimmick. Now, I feel like I can't do without it.

Reactions: christianajur
Apr 27, 2018
Without question, I would say the first one.

My son has a 34-inch LG 2560x1080 ultrawide with a 144Hz max. The high refresh is not relevant to us, as his video card can't do that, but the display quality is awesome. The particular monitor we have was reviewed here.

SOME might argue that the pixels are too big for that screen size and resolution. I disagree. And my son's much younger and sharper eyes concur on this.

If you go 1440-ultrawide (3440x1440) you're talking almost double the number of pixels, which requires more graphics horsepower. The 1080Ti should be able to manage it at the higher refresh rate, but I personally prefer a little breathing room.

If at all possible, if there's a brick-and-mortar store near you with multiple monitors on display, I'd suggest checking out these models (or similar) in person.

A few games have a problem with ultrawide. That said, I used to think ultrawide was a gimmick. Now, I feel like I can't do without it.

Thank you, I’ve made up my mind, ill go with the Lg Ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Thank you, I’ve made up my mind, ill go with the Lg Ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor.

Wrong choice if you ask me.

1. I feel people are likely to keep a monitor longer than a video card. So when you make a purchasing choice for a monitor you should go long. with the knowledge that you are going to be using it in 5+ years time comfortably.

2. The comment that 1080ti "should be able to manage" is misguiding in the least and flat out wrong in the truth. 3440x1440 is perfectly playable on a 1080ti. All games are different, but in general FPS will be over 80 in the majority of titles on high/ultra settings. Often way over into 100's. There are plenty of youtube videos
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olswABa55eU&t=381s
which will show you the framerates, and more importantly the game-feel, at 3440x1440. I used to play using 980ti and never noticed any problems at all.

3. I consider 1080p dead [it just doesn't know it] in all it's forms. The vertical resolution is just a little limiting. Long ago, before widesdcreen TV's, monitors used 1920x1200 [WUXGA] an wide extension of 1600x1200 [UXGA]. Moving to 1080p always seemed a step backwards to me.

I do agree that once you have ultra-widescreen you won't want to switch back. It's one of the reasons I'm not on the 4k wave. I just love the desktop space and I don't want to run two monitors and have a bezel in the middle.

Good luck with your choice. The LG is the cost savvy choice. It's widescreen which is good. So it's definitely not a bad choice.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
2. The comment that 1080ti "should be able to manage" is misguiding in the least and flat out wrong in the truth. 3440x1440 is perfectly playable on a 1080ti. All games are different, but in general FPS will be over 80 in the majority of titles on high/ultra settings. Often way over into 100's. There are plenty of youtube videos
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olswABa55eU&t=381s
which will show you the framerates, and more importantly the game-feel, at 3440x1440. I used to play using 980ti and never noticed any problems at all.
I might've been slightly unclear. When I said that it should be able to manage at the higher frame rate, I meant that in terms of maintaining constant frame rates equal to the monitor's max rate (ie: 100fps in the case of the Asus 3440x1440 ultrawide).

That said, I generally disagree with the idea that 1080p is dead, given how much it's still used in 1920x1080 form. That said, I find it limiting sometimes only for work purposes, but not in terms of gaming. Now, I wouldn't recommend a 2560x1080 on, say a 29-inch diagonal - that DOES make the screen seem too small vertically, but once you go up to a 34-inch, despite the pixels being larger, it just sort of feels less "crowded" (I realize this is a vague and VERY subjective description - hence why I recommend seeing the monitors in person before buying if at all practical to do so).

Hi, so here’s the deal, im building a computer that will have an i7 8700, gtx 1080ti, 32gb ram and some other pretty cool specs, im building it since I want to play the newest games and code, I will use this machine for lots of coding in java, ill run virtual machines and have lots of IDE’s since ill do Android Development. The thing is, Ill need 3 monitors, I know 2 of them but I dont know what to choose as my main one. Here are my options:
  1. LG 34UC79G - 1080p, 144hz, ultrawide
  2. Dell S2719DGF - 1440p, 155hz, not ultrawide
  3. Asus PG348Q - 1440p, 100hz, ultrawide (more expensive, but worth it?)
The thing is, I kinda want ultrawide because its more immersive, it looks more cinematic, also you have more real estate to do stuff, so the questions is, if I were to get the LG monitor, would I really see a difference over the Dell or Asus one in terms of resolution? Would It really be too pixelated or ar these just some things that very picky people say about resolutions. Which one is better for programming and gaming, since Ill do more programming, should I pay more for the Asus one? But will my pc be able to run every game I trow at it with more than 100 fps? (Since the Asus is 100hz I asume I need at least 100fps) And, Is ultrawide better than 16:9?

Why not get 3 of the same monitors? That is the best setup usually. Monitors with different resolution and refresh rates can cause stutter issues with games.

As to the size, depends on your desk and how you will use them for. Will you want to sweep your head from side to side across a 34" utrawide to get to the side monitors when coding or looking at things? I would not, unless I'm far away from them.