27 or 32 inch 1440p gaming capable monitor

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
I am currently choosing main 1440p monitor and I am deadlocked between 27" and 32" ones:
27" :
+ generally better input lag and response time
+ wide variety to choose from
- reported terrible for reading, very high density makes smaller fonts difficult to read
- impossible to find matching portrait side monitor (would need 15.4" 1440x900, and those does not seem to exist). I would have to choose side monitor that either does not mach in size or density.
considered models: Iiyama ProLite XB2779QS, Dell U2715H UltraSharp, AOC q2770Pqu

32":
+ all cons of 27" eliminated: compatible with common and cheap 19" side monitors
- only few models to choose from
- maybe way too big, could prove uncomfortable
considered models: BenQ BL3200PT, Acer B326HULymiidphz, Samsung S32D850K

Which of these would you choose if you were me?
Is there some great model I missed, especially with compatible side portrait option?

additional notes:
- use of these will be mostly programming, browsing and non-FPS gaming (though I dont avoid action games like AC4 or DA:I). Because of programming I assume I will need side panel.
- since I do not live in big country my options are limited moreover, I would like to avoid korean monitors
- my budget is limited, because of that I dont consider ROG swift as option
- I do not play FPS nor simulators, and because of that I assume triple 24" would not suit my situation as good as 1440p with side monitor

My Dell Ultrasharp 3011 died Christmas morning after 4 years of excellent performance. It is a 30 inch monitor with an IPS panel and a recommended screen resolution of 2560 x 1600. I used it for coding, digital image editing, and web site development. It was a pleasure to be able to view several screens at the same time. It was a great monitor.

For the past 3 days I have been reading technical reviews, looking at technical reviews posted to YouTube.com, and reading member comments in forums. I also went to several stores for the purpose of trying to get a good look at the different screen resolutions.

I have decided against using 27 inch monitors with a screen resolution of 2560 x 1080, 1440, 1600, or 2048 pixels. The width of 2560 pixels is a little too much for a 27 inch screen. Text can appear small. It does not seem to be an ideal situation for coding. I have been using a 30 inch monitor for the past 4 years so downsizing to a 27 inch monitor is like taking a step backwards for me.

I zeroed in on two 32 inch monitors - the BenQ BL3200PT you mentioned and the Samsung S32D850T which is a little different than the Samsung S32D850K you mentioned. Both monitors use the exact same VA panel and the same recommended screen resolution. The VA panels may be identical but the other components inside the monitor are not. In addition the BenQ model has a two extra features that might make coding and programming a little easier on the eyes - Zeroflicker and low blue light mode. The combination of the two features should theoretically help reduce eye strain when coding or programming for hours at a time. In addition the 2560 pixels are spread out over a wider distance so text will appear a little larger. Personally I would be inclined to choose the BenQ over the Samsung because of the extra features. The BenQ typically costs $100.00 USD more than the Samsung model and is probably worth it. On the other hand, if you are on a really tight budget, then the Samsung model I mentioned will do quite nicely.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

Actually the Benq is ~100 USD cheaper in my country so it is probably region-dependent. There is one big problem though I noticed later - there are no 19" IPS monitors available, are they? All I could find was TN, though they claim 170° view angles. Anyway, if you decide on a solution ,or come up with alternative, be sure to share it :)
As for 2560x1600, it would be preferred resolution, but prices of those monitors are double the 27" WQHD.

Here are the US prices:

BenQ BL3200PT - Retail price: $999.99, Sale price: $699.99
Samsung S32D850T - Retail price: $899.99, Sale price: $599.99 This is the model I mentioned
Samsung S32D85K - Retail price: $999.69, Sale price: $869.99 This is the model you mentioned

Here is a link to 19 inch IPS monitors:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600030613%20600030644%20600418183%20600107132%20600439463&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=30

I agree that a resolution of 2560 x 1600 is preferred. Unfortunately prices are also high in the USA. Lowest price for the Dell Ultrasharp 3014 today is $1,089.99.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Well, they are IPS but they does not have matching resolution. WQHD needs 19" 1440x900 while WQXGA goes best with 20" 1600x1200 or 18" 1680x1050 which all are pretty rare below 22". I am able to find a single matching solution with side panel.
There are attempts like this http://www.overclock.net/t/1487542/build-log-custom-1440p-plp-setup , but it seems if one go with higher resolution second monitor is not really an option....

OK!

I did a little research. Here is a possible three monitor configuration:

BenQ BL3200PT and two Asus PA248Qs, 24 inch, 1920x1200, IPS monitors. The dot pitch of all three monitors is the same. All three monitors pivot so you could use them in landscape mode or portrait mode.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

Great idea! Either 24" 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 should work as they have same or identical density. I would personally pick fullHD simply because it is widely supported and much, much cheaper. Sounds like great overall solution.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Well, I just learnt that Nvidia does not support differently oriented screens(PLP) - so sadly it cannot be used for gaming, only for work...

Happy New Year!

It looks like the BenQ will not be delivered until Monday. Newegg is experiencing shipping delays due to the holidays and a year end inventory.

There may be a software solution to your problem. The BenQ comes with Display Pilot software:

"Auto Pivot detects the rotation of the monitor and dynamically rotates displayed content automatically. All windows will be equally proportioned and displayed on the screen when clicking on the Desktop Partition icon. This allows you to compare designs with just one simple click. Moreover, you can preset different picture modes for each frequently used application. Display Pilot will automatically switch to your preferred viewing mode."

I just checked the gpu compatibility chart. Display Pilot works with NVidia gpu's. I'll try it when my BenQ arrives and let you know what happened.

There may also be other software solutions.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Happy New year to you too.
According to research, there is a software(SoftTH) however it supposedly supports dx9 games-only. If the BenQ Display Pilot fully handled it(not just sending message to windows to re-orient), it would be great!

The new monitor was delivered late last Monday afternoon. When I turned it on color accuracy definitely need some adjustments. Luckily TFT Central in the UK published a highly detailed review of the monitor which included color calibration and recommended settings. I already had the settings written down. It probably took me about one minute to go into the OSD menu and change the settings. WOW! What a difference. Black is black, white is white, and all the other colors are right on the mark. I double checked it with BenQ's own color calibration software and a Pantone color reference chart. The best part is the split screens. Thanks to the increase from 30 to 32 inches I have more room to work with when multiple screens are open. I love it.

I can confirm that the "Display Pilot" utility that comes with the monitor works. Setting up split screens is easy and the auto-pivot works.

I can confirm it works with NVidia graphic cards. I have an MSI GTX 760.

I can confirm it works with AMD APU systems. I installed the utility on my wife's AMD pc and it worked.

I can confirm it works with multiple monitors connected to a graphic card. It recognizes each monitor and each monitor can be configured separately.

I cannot confirm pivoting side panel monitors work because my wife's monitor does not pivot.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
And what about gaming? Does it allow you to have side monitor in portrait mode while in surround(game in fullscreen on all monitors, not just window stretched over multiple monitors)? Or just other applications like web browser? The side one(s) does no have to be physically in portrait mode... just whether the software allow it.

The Display Pilot application cannot be used to create one large multiple monitor partition for game play. Gamers will have to configure multiple monitors for gaming using traditional methods.

If a user has three monitors, then Display Pilot will detect and identify each monitor. Once identified the application can be used to select a monitor and access the OSD menu. A user can then use the application to make changes to menu settings. A user can also select a monitor and create partition(s) for it. There is no way to create one huge partition for multiple monitor gaming.

Sorry about the bad news.