270 Watt For The Performance Crown: AMD's Radeon HD 4870 X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chise1

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Now that these cards in CF can play Crysis adequately, what game with completely unoptimized code are we going to use as a benchmark for ridiculous graphics cards?

otheos

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
This time AMD goes after Nvidia’s flagship cards GTX 260 and GTX 280

Oh I am sorry, but the 260 is history even from the first launch of the 4850, and the 280 was bearly holding itself against the 4870.

As for the 270watt well it sounds better when compared to the performance of that the 236watt of the 280 gives you.

And ontop you can still opt for the cheaper 4850 x2 which is still beating the 280 by some margin (at least based on the crossfire performance) with power consumption of 6watt less.

I think the 4870 x2 is not so much of a defeat for nVidia as much as the 4850 x2 is, given that it's both less power hungry and cheaper.

Not to mention the vastly cheaper single GPU cards.

Bye bye nVidia.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Nice job spelling out "performance" on the chart. Way to leave the "e" off on the second line.

Don't mean to bash, but is it amateur hour or something?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]chise1[/nom]Now that these cards in CF can play Crysis adequately, what game with completely unoptimized code are we going to use as a benchmark for ridiculous graphics cards?[/citation]
Farcry 2.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]Nice job spelling out "performance" on the chart. Way to leave the "e" off on the second line.Don't mean to bash, but is it amateur hour or something?[/citation]

PowerPoint issue maybe? Either way, I don't think it's one of Tom's own graphics, but borrowed from AMD. I could be wrong though.

Claimintru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I've always been curious. There are a multitude of applications, especially older games that have issues with SLI configurations and crossfire. These graphics cards with 2 cores run into that problem or not? Since its 2 GPU's working together, just with a different interface....Would hope and think not since the info is being coordinated on the same card, but still curious

G

In 2 out of 3 of the reviews i read, the GTX280 beats the ATI 4870x2 in
Crysis. In 1 other they had the same fps.

on games that scales the internal crossfire good, its nice, seen reviews
getting over 30fps lower than other benchmarks with this card tho.
Making it equal or worse than the GTX280 some places, and up
to 45% faster in others.

Good product, but not great.

[citation][nom]yarryarr[/nom]In 2 out of 3 of the reviews i read, the GTX280 beats the ATI 4870x2 inCrysis. In 1 other they had the same fps. [/citation]

What reviews were those, and at what settings?
Pretty much the HD4870X2 outperforms the GTX280 when the settings are Very High (ie DX10) in Crysis (Toms Review, Anand), the GTX280 outperforms the HD4K-X2 when Crysis is set to High (DX9) the Tech Report showed both settings in their review and you can see the lead change based on setting GTX-DX9 / HD4K-DX10.
For what Crysis is being used for why you would test it in the easier DX9 mode makes little sense since the point of using it as a benchmark and mentioning it as playable at X setting is because when everything is cranked it crushes cards/systems. And for what these cards are made for just like them not being benchmarked at 1280x1024, you don't benchmark them on lower settings.

They still trade blows for the performance crown, but be sure you get your Crysis information correct because it seems to many people want to use those DX9 results when trying to drum up some attention or find fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.