[SOLVED] 2700 overclocking

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
i wannt overclock my ryzen 2700 but im not sure what the max safe vcore is for 24/7 i dont wanna ruin my cpu im on a b$50 tomahawk using load line mode 3 and team group vulcan 3000 mhz ram

Solution
You do not need to change load line calibration unless you are doing high end overclocking. I've already stated to leave it on auto setting. Changing too many parameters whilst trying to OC just makes things harder to manage.

All you want to do for now is change your voltage and CPU multiplier and test for max temps, and stability. The guide I've linked (if you follow it) will get you a repeatable, sustainable, stable overclock.

As for max safe voltage for your CPU. Well, each CPU is different, and what works for one, may not work for another. Only YOU, while testing, can determine the right voltages/temps/clockspeeds.

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Great you want to try overclocking. Make sure you learn about what you want to achieve and how to do it properly.

Here's a guide. Read, read and read it again. Then do things by the numbers : https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

If you are saying you've adjusted LLC, then don't. Leave that on auto. You don't want to touch that for a moderate OC.

well what load line mode do i want for my overclock or am i missing something i have already read loads of guides

You do not need to change load line calibration unless you are doing high end overclocking. I've already stated to leave it on auto setting. Changing too many parameters whilst trying to OC just makes things harder to manage.

All you want to do for now is change your voltage and CPU multiplier and test for max temps, and stability. The guide I've linked (if you follow it) will get you a repeatable, sustainable, stable overclock.

As for max safe voltage for your CPU. Well, each CPU is different, and what works for one, may not work for another. Only YOU, while testing, can determine the right voltages/temps/clockspeeds.

Last edited:
Solution
i wannt overclock my ryzen 2700 but im not sure what the max safe vcore is for 24/7 i dont wanna ruin my cpu im on a b$50 tomahawk using load line mode 3 and team group vulcan 3000 mhz ram
What is 'safe' is very much in dispute for Ryzen. Many people have said 1.4-1.45 is the maximum safe, but that's probably at a low processor load where it's not generating a lot of heat. AMD has not really weighed in with any suggestions since Ryzen 1000 where Robert Halleck said 1.425 is the max for long term use, while 1.45 could limit life (Ryzen 3000, using the TSMC 7nm process, is entirely different). Of course, that's actual core voltage, and under heavy load, where a suitably overclocked 8 core 2700 would get uncontrollably hot under conventional cooling. Most "average" 24/7 overclockers are looking at 1.3-1.375 actual core voltage as a max under heavy load but that's being questioned too with some people reporting early degradation.

A good way to approach it it is to keep voltage as low as you can to be stable under heavy load and so long as temperature is staying well controlled you'll most likely be safe. It's not really voltage that causes degradation, it's current in combination with heat.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHUz16MuYA

Last edited:
You do not need to change load line calibration unless you are doing high end overclocking. I've already stated to leave it on auto setting. ....

I'm not so certain leaving it in 'auto' is best... on some mother boards 'auto' is the highest LLC setting. I think MSI's boards fit that, at least my B450m Mortar seems to.

A neutral LLC is what I think you're suggesting. On Tomahawk a setting of 4 or 5 would do it.

Reactions: Kaitlin Kaschak