Question 2700 vs 2700x

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Which one would I be able to get more performance out of? I'm gonna be overclocking whichever I buy buy for the non-x I'd get a good aio while with tje x i'd keep the stock cooler. Also I'd be using a b450 mb with decent vrms and radiators (AORUS ELITE). Which should I get? And does a b450 mb have less oc-ing capabilities than an x470?

My understanding is that the X suffix versions are better binned and will allow a better overclock.
Your overclock limit is not likely to be a thermal limitation but intrinsic to the chip itself.
Up to 4.3 is what to hope for.
I would start with the stock cooler and see how you do.
In a well ventilated case it should do the job.
If you do want a better cooler, a good tower type air cooler will do the job.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Personally I bought a 2600 instead of a 2600x with the intent to OC it and hopefully get similar performance.
My experience was in fact better than I expected.
I run my 2600 at 3.95 GHz OC and it benchmarks better than a stock 2600x in pretty much every Benchmark that I have run.
I will most likely upgrade to a 2700 or a 3000 series at the end of the year and I don't foresee any problem OCing a 2700 to 2700x or higher levels either.
So my advice is to get a 2700x if you don't want to bother OCing or get a 2700 and OC it to get to or above 2700x performance.

Last edited:

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think 2700x chips are binned any better than 2700's. I think Steve from Hardware Unboxed/tech spot said his 2600x overclocked worse than his 2600. This argument basically boils down to whether you are willing to manually overclock or not. You can get up 4.35 boost with an x chip with good Air Cooling in your typical gaming load. Mine would usually sit around 4.25 and jump up to 4.35 occasionally when gaming. 100% load would drop it 4ghz. To get boosts that high you need to use PBO with good cooling and a voltage offset. This will require stress testing just as a manual overclock would.

2700(x) chips that hit 4.3 all core on manual overclocks are rare. 4.2 is the norm. By the time you buy a cooler good enough to get max boost with the 2700x you've spent a lot of extra money on the same silicon vs 2700. The 2700 and a cooler good enough to get to 4.2 is going to cost the same as the 2700x. So you end up spending a lot more money to get very little real world benefit in gaming and worse all core full load performance in most cases.

If you just want to slap a CPU in with a stock cooler and not spend hours tweaking the settings then the 2700 x isn't bad for that. The prism is a good cooler and will consistently perform around 4 ghz with good temps. If you want to buy an aftermarket cooler and like playing around in the BIOS/stress testing than just get the 2700 and a good air cooler. You'll get more bang for your buck.

Either way don't run out and buy anything before the Ryzen 3000 announcements drop on Monday. The new CPU's should be here early third quarter with any luck. 7/7/19 is likely.

Reactions: DMAN999

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
I don't think 2700x chips are binned any better than 2700's. I think Steve from Hardware Unboxed/tech spot said his 2600x overclocked worse than his 2600. This argument basically boils down to whether you are willing to manually overclock or not. You can get up 4.35 boost with an x chip with good Air Cooling in your typical gaming load. Mine would usually sit around 4.25 and jump up to 4.35 occasionally when gaming. 100% load would drop it 4ghz. To get boosts that high you need to use PBO with good cooling and a voltage offset. This will require stress testing just as a manual overclock would.

2700(x) chips that hit 4.3 all core on manual overclocks are rare. 4.2 is the norm. By the time you buy a cooler good enough to get max boost with the 2700x you've spent a lot of extra money on the same silicon vs 2700. The 2700 and a cooler good enough to get to 4.2 is going to cost the same as the 2700x. So you end up spending a lot more money to get very little real world benefit in gaming and worse all core full load performance in most cases.

If you just want to slap a CPU in with a stock cooler and not spend hours tweaking the settings then the 2700 x isn't bad for that. The prism is a good cooler and will consistently perform around 4 ghz with good temps. If you want to buy an aftermarket cooler and like playing around in the BIOS/stress testing than just get the 2700 and a good air cooler. You'll get more bang for your buck.

Either way don't run out and buy anything before the Ryzen 3000 announcements drop on Monday. The new CPU's should be here early third quarter with any luck. 7/7/19 is likely.
Wait do they announce them on monday? I didn't know that lol
I'm just gonna wait for the prices to drop anyways

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Wait do they announce them on monday? I didn't know that lol
I'm just gonna wait for the prices to drop anyways

Very likely to announce. Pretty much everybody in the "tech press" expects them to. Hopefully they will give full specs and pricing. We'll still have to wait until shortly before release for independent reviewers to drop reliable benchmarks to see how they stack against intel and older ryzen. We should hopefully be able to infer a lot about performance after the keynote.

https://explore.amd.com/webmail/659...e2ed8930b446fcf928fb2b5305e44a1863733f71908bc

"X" models are better binned than non-x as that's only thing distinguishing them. Both are unlocked and have exactly same die and features, only some micro code changes are in effect.
Although some non-x can be OC-ed to x levels it is not certain by any means.