2700x - Aftermarket Air Cooler

Sgt Gonzo

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Hi all,

I'm looking for an aftermarket cooler to pair with my Ryzen 2700x + B450 Carbon Pro

I know the Prism does a great job, but i'd be happy with dropping temps at full load by 6-8 degrees or more. Plus, I already have a £20 bid on ebay for it after just listing it so I can use this to fund the next purchase. I don't have much experience with overclocking and still need to look into XFR/PBO but it's to my understanding that cooler temps will allow for somewhat better performance.

I've been looking at these options thus far and £60-70 would be my max price range (lower the better if can still get decently better results than prism):

Gammax 400 (seems to get good reviews and match the below Mugen in some reviews?) (£17.69)

Gammax GT, as I would quite like RGB if possible (£35)

Thermalright AMD/Intel Macho Rev.B (£45)

Cyrorig H7 Plus 2x fans (£45)

Cyrorig H7 Ultra RGB 1x fan (£50)

Mugen 5 Rev.b (£55)

Dark Rock Pro 4 (£68) (RGB or all black aesthetic is preferred)

The price seems to jump up quite rapidly and what really threw me off was when I saw the Gammaxx vs the Mugen in this review:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/scythe-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler,5083-2.html

If the Gammax will perform better than the Prism and close to the Mugen (which I nearly bought) then surely that's a no brainer seeing as RGB is a + for me?

I've spent the whole day looking at reviews and am still no closer to a purchase so any help would be great. I would be open to AIO but this is a new field for me. If price/performance justifies it I will leap in.

Build:

Game Max Abbys case with 2 front and top fans, 1 back fan
b450 gaming pro carbon
Ryzen 2700x
3200hz Corsair Vengeance RGB
Evga GTX 1080ti ftw3
Evga 750w PSU

Thank you!

Solution
This should give some semblance to your queries... https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/891730-cpu-cooler-performance-tier-list/

Note that this is not a mandatory list, but gives you an overall picture.
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut + Dark Rock 4, and you are good for a long long time even at high clocks.
Gammax is fine for low to medium OC. But, couple of years down the line, when you will need to push the chip for more juice, Dark Rock Pro will pull you through at those higher clocks.

Sgt Gonzo

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Thanks guys! Would you be able to let me know what kind of difference the rock 4 will deliver over the gammaxx 400 Vs wraith Spire by chance? I can't seem to find any comparison benchmarks and any I do find show very different results. I just watched a video with the black rock 4 Vs hyper 213 which only showed minor differences, and the gammaxx is supposedly better than the 212:/ is it worth paying 4x for it? I have ordered the grizzly thermal paste in the meantime.

Sgt Gonzo

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
I've been studying that list and the mugen 5 is high up on it, but then videos and benchmark show similar performance to the gammaxx.. such confusion

I found this on the this in tier 2 for cheaper than the black rock at around £60

Deepcool GamerStorm Captain 240EX Liquid CPU Cooler 240mm Radiator 2 x 12cm Fans Bionic Red LED

Should I just pull the trigger on this and call it a day?

Thanks a lot for your help thus far btw !!

Sgt Gonzo

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
I managed to snag a dark rock TF for £33 so I went with that as it's pretty high (tier 3 ISH) on th list. Wil see how that goes. Will look into maybe putting an RGB fan on it instead let's see. Thanks for all the help