Question 2700X OS?

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Hi all, just about to order a 2700X from Amazon, and I happened to notice it says:

Compatibility: Windows 10 64-bit, RHEL x86 64-bit, and Ubuntu x86 64-bit.

Windows 7 isn't mentioned, does this mean the 2700X can't be used with Windows 7 64-bit?

I understand that I need Windows 10 for DX12, and that it has other functions that will improve performance, but I'm going to be using an 8Gb RX580 for awhile, and I'm thinking that's going to be my bottleneck, and I won't need the enhanced performance yet.

I figure that whenever I upgrade the GPU, I can get Windows 10 at that time. I'd get it now, (want to play State of Decay 2) but I'm straining my budget limits as is.

So can I use the 2700X with Windows 7?

WildCard999

Titan
It depends if the motherboard has the drivers for Windows 7.

But you can use Win10 free for now unactivated. You'll get all the new updates as well as security, the only thing you lose is some customizing options and get a watermark in the bottom right of your screen.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Skip the part during the OS installation when it asks for a key.

As for your 2700X/RX 580 combo it's a solid setup if your using a 1080P or 1080P UW monitor.

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
If the motherboard says it works with windows 7 you should be safe. What motherboard are you getting with it?
It depends if the motherboard has the drivers for Windows 7.

I plan to use a Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming mobo.

But you can use Win10 free for now unactivated. You'll get all the new updates as well as security, the only thing you lose is some customizing options and get a watermark in the bottom right of your screen.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Skip the part during the OS installation when it asks for a key.

Ok, $free.99 appeals to me for now lol. Am I still able to get rid of the bloatware?

As for your 2700X/RX 580 combo it's a solid setup if your using a 1080P or 1080P UW monitor.

Yeah, I got the RX580 to replace the HD7790 on my current PC. Figured it would be a few years until I could upgrade the CPU/RAM/mobo, and I'd get a new GPU sometime after that. But I came into some money, so decided to banish my FX-6300 to the living room to become a media centre.

Had I known this was coming, I'd have held off on the RX580 (only got it around Christmas) and grabbed a 1080ti.

WildCard999

Titan
I plan to use a Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming mobo.

Ok, $free.99 appeals to me for now lol. Am I still able to get rid of the bloatware?

Yeah, I got the RX580 to replace the HD7790 on my current PC. Figured it would be a few years until I could upgrade the CPU/RAM/mobo, and I'd get a new GPU sometime after that. But I came into some money, so decided to banish my FX-6300 to the living room to become a media centre.

Had I known this was coming, I'd have held off on the RX580 (only got it around Christmas) and grabbed a 1080ti.
There's no bloatware I've seen come with the unactivated Win10, it's pretty minimal and nowhere nearly as bad as a prebuilt HP for example.

There are drivers for Win7 so it should work with that motherboard/CPU.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10#support-dl-driver

The RX 580 is a nice boost over that 7790.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-AMD-HD-7790/3923vsm8622

I'm playing at 2560x1080P/75hz and my RX 580 4gb plays most games at med to high settings around 65-75hz but it also helps to have a monitor with Freesync to keep the gameplay smooth.

Reactions: Skpstr

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
It says on the motherboard product page: “To support Windows 7 64-bit, you must install an AMD Pinnacle Ridge & Summit Ridge CPU”. The 2700x is pinnacle ridge so you should be good. Or just use the free windows 10 as someone else suggested.

Reactions: Skpstr
A few manufacturers and users have figured out a few patches/hacks to make Win7 work with newer chipsets/processors, but, that could get dorked on any update at any time, and, I honestly can't see why anyone would still intentionally be on WIn7 over Win10 anyway....