[SOLVED] 2700x performance vs thermals

gamepassion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
With these hot days, my PC exhausting hot air was quite annoying. So I tried to get some solutions.

I have a 2700x on a x470 ultra gaming, gtx 1070 gainwards gs all in a fractal design define r5 with 2 intakes and 1 exhaust.

So, in prime95 I had over 85 celsius (real die temp) and for me seemed too much. Also in cinebench r15 I had only 1714.

So I disabled PBO. Prime 95 with 75 celsius. Cinebench r15 1684. It seems a good bargain. 10 celsius for 30 less points (less then 2%).

Then I had the ideea to make high priority for cinebench. So, with pbo on I had 1808 in cinebench, while with pbo off I had 1784. Same temps.

So, question is: are the above results normal? To me, pbo has merely no benefit at the cost of much higher temps.

Are there any settings to get more from pbo? Can I get more performance with less heat?

Solution
Sorry for the late response, I was away.

I set - 0.102 offset (it goes in 0.006 steps) as a stable offset. In tests I get now 75-77 degrees (depends on case fans). I guess I am just happy with it.

Tnx to all for help!

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
With these hot days, my PC exhausting hot air was quite annoying. So I tried to get some solutions.

I have a 2700x on a x470 ultra gaming, gtx 1070 gainwards gs all in a fractal design define r5 with 2 intakes and 1 exhaust.

So, in prime95 I had over 85 celsius (real die temp) and for me seemed too much. Also in cinebench r15 I had only 1714.

So I disabled PBO. Prime 95 with 75 celsius. Cinebench r15 1684. It seems a good bargain. 10 celsius for 30 less points (less then 2%).

Then I had the ideea to make high priority for cinebench. So, with pbo on I had 1808 in cinebench, while with pbo off I had 1784. Same temps.

So, question is: are the above results normal? To me, pbo has merely no benefit at the cost of much higher temps.

Are there any settings to get more from pbo? Can I get more performance with less heat?
You need to use a negative voltage offset when using PBO. It helps keep the temps under control. -100 to -50 mv is usually doable.

gamepassion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Ok. My motherboard is a gigabyte x470 aorus ultra gaming. I have no voltage offset in bios. I have though a Dynamic Vcore (DVID) set default at AUTO that has a - 0.300V to +0.300V adjustment range. This is the offset?

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I also have the Ryzen 2700X but with an Asus B450 Plus Gaming motherboard with a Wraith RGB stock cooler.

In Cinebench multi CPU benchmark my temperatures hits 85c fairly quickly and then thermal throttling balances the CPU speed to keep it from rising further.
Benchmarking absolutely hammers the CPU and during any game you will never get the workload to the same level.

During intensive gaming e.g. Battlefield V my temperature used to be around 75c with PBO enabled and 62c with PBO Disabled or Auto.
Although it wasn't too hot I wanted it lower but still having PBO enabled for maximum performance.
On Auto the motherboard controls PBO parameters and these are usually safe & frugal settings so you get less boost but lower temperatures.

I set a - 0.100 voltage offset in my BIOS.
Now it runs with PBO enabled at an average of 62c in Battlefield but still boosts the CPU.

I also set the same - 0.100 offset to the SOC voltage which is the On Chip voltage.
This helped to maintain the 62c temperature as well but is optional as each system is different in terms of stability and performance.
You may get acceptable running temperatures with just a voltage offset to the CPU so no need to touch the SOC.
I class 75c as too high really personally as sometimes it would spike to 80+ during loading.
Although it's perfectly safe temperature wise it's not necessary at all so hence me using the offset as the CPU does not need such a high voltage in order to operate efficiently.

I suggest you try a voltage offset of -0.050 initially for your CPU voltage then boot Windows, load a game and test stability & temperature.
Then try - 0.075 then - 0.100 respectively for CPU voltage if your system is stable and still boosting with PBO enabled.
I notice a slight increase in the boost speed too during gaming after applying the offset so it affects both temperature and performance in positive ways.

After this if -0.100 is stable with PBO on and performance still all good you can leave it at that or try the same offsets with the SOC voltage.
Use -0.50 then step up to -0.100 while testing each time etc.

The combined CPU & SOC voltages reductions can lower temperatures but be aware of stability.
Eventually lowering them too far will cause instability or possible non posting of your PC.
Just reset your BIOS by removing the battery, shorting the CLR CMOS jumper and waiting 1 minute before re-inserting the battery.
You will then be at factory defaults in the BIOS.

Both the CPU and SOC offsets of -0.100 were about my limit although I did go a bit further on each and test it to ensure I was not sitting on the thresholds of stability.
I then dialled them back to the -0.100 settings so that I know they are well within the performance and stability curve.

Andy

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42

gamepassion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Sorry for the late response, I was away.

I set - 0.102 offset (it goes in 0.006 steps) as a stable offset. In tests I get now 75-77 degrees (depends on case fans). I guess I am just happy with it.

Tnx to all for help!

Reactions: rigg42
Solution