2700x Stock Cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2018
Just bought a 2700x and wondering if the stock cooler is good enough for everyday usage. I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon(if ever), and just plan on letting the auto boost do it's thing.

I will be using this on a X470 Gaming 7 wifi mobo, with a MSI 1080ti gaming x, and 64gb (4x16gb) ram at 3200.

Will be heavy into music and video editing, occasional gaming with heavy weekend gaming on certain addictive titles, plan on getting a mixed reality VR headset, and I do some development for mobile.

Also, my desktop will be on 99% of the time, as I use remote access a lot.

Is it worth it to get a better cooler? Will the auto boosts be more effective doing so? Is there any throttling on the stock cooler?

Also, I'm not interested in any water cooling AIO, but I don't want some monster fan cooler that will block my ram slots as I will be using 4 slots.

With gaming, I'm not a fps watcher and will mainly game on 1080 and 1440, as long as it above the 80fps in average, I'm good.

And what about fan noise? How bad or good is it on the stock cooler.

I'll be building my system in about a week. Just need a power supply and a case. And possibly a better cooler?

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
If you're doing heavy video editing, I'd get another cooler, editing can peg the CPU out and generate quite a bit of heat. I'd look into the Noctua coolers, or maybe something from Be Quiet. An AIO would make any concerns over heatsink and ram conflicts nonexistent. I've got a Thermaltake Riing 360, it's dead quiet and keeps my CPU under 56c while encoding movies (finally getting my massive DVD collection on a dedicated Plex server).

Jun 29, 2018

I'm OCD about brand new purchases. Would prefer not to have to take out the stock cooler, clean the paste off, then reapply it for another cooler. I rather just put one in from the start and leave it. I'm mainly concerned if anyone has had stutters or lag on the stock cooler, especially with video editing and gaming.

Jun 29, 2018

Thanks, Video editing is my main concern. Mostly previewing editing.

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
If you do not plan to overclock ever, stock cooler is absolutely fine.

If you want something really really quiet though, go for Noctua coolers. They are a bit on the big-side; but I have managed to use Noctua D15 while using all the RAM slots (just had to shift one of the fans up an inch), just make sure your case is roomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.