[SOLVED] 2700x stock fan vs. Hyper 212 Evo

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Hi,

So I just picked up a 2700x and also have a Hyper 212 Evo, but don't have the adapter yet. What kind of differences in boost and temps would I expect from stock to the Hyper 212? Basically, is it enough to bother waiting for the adapter?

Thanks!

Solution
Not much difference in boost/temps, the Prism is quite decent. Both are 140w TDP coolers, so performance-wise they'll be roughly the same, the efficiency is slightly better on the Evo. At 2000rpm or below, the Wraith is quiet, it's only above that that it'll loose out to the Evo in volume. Both do a decent job on VRM's, the Wraith slightly better.

If you had a 2700 and the Wraith Spire, that'd be a different story.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi,

So I just picked up a 2700x and also have a Hyper 212 Evo, but don't have the adapter yet. What kind of differences in boost and temps would I expect from stock to the Hyper 212? Basically, is it enough to bother waiting for the adapter?

Thanks!

If you don't plan on doing any OC'ing to the 2700x, the HS&F that comes with it does a rather decent job. I have a 2700X myself and have never had an issue. Especially if you have a fan tweak program setup.

Reactions: RodroX

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not much difference in boost/temps, the Prism is quite decent. Both are 140w TDP coolers, so performance-wise they'll be roughly the same, the efficiency is slightly better on the Evo. At 2000rpm or below, the Wraith is quiet, it's only above that that it'll loose out to the Evo in volume. Both do a decent job on VRM's, the Wraith slightly better.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Thanks for the update, I think I'll just try to stay with the Prism, at least to start. Looks like Cooler Master wants almost $15 for the upgrade kit anyway, doesn't really seem worth it.

Yeah, I seriously never heard the 212 on a 3770k, but at least now I'll have some colors to play with too, lol.

Hi,

Thanks!
If you bought the Hyper 212 Evo in 2017 after Ryzen 1000 was released, it may already be compatible with AM4. The backplate has 2 mounting holes where the AM2-AM3+ single mounting holes would be otherwise. I would suggest looking at the backplate or if you still have the manual, it will show AM4 support if it's new enough.