Question 2700x vs I7-8700

DavidUSSR

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
So tomorrow I'm going to but new parts for my pc and I want to make sure that I'm choosing the right cpu.
The origonal Plan was to buy an I7-8700 but now I think that maybe I should Get the Ryzen 7 2700/x becuase When I play games like arma I use teamspeak in the backround and my discord is always working in the backround...
I would aprriciate you answers :)

They both have sufficient cores/threads for multithreaded multitasking. Honestly, do you NEED to pull the trigger on this right now, because within the next month we're likely to see Ryzen 3000 series processors and new chipset motherboards get released. It would make alot of sense to wait for that, if for no other reason than the fact that it will likely force the prices down on these existing offerings. More importantly, you may be able to get a Ryzen CPU with moderately higher single core performance than current models offer AND additional cores per unit.

DavidUSSR

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
They both have sufficient cores/threads for multithreaded multitasking. Honestly, do you NEED to pull the trigger on this right now, because within the next month we're likely to see Ryzen 3000 series processors and new chipset motherboards get released. It would make alot of sense to wait for that, if for no other reason than the fact that it will likely force the prices down on these existing offerings. More importantly, you may be able to get a Ryzen CPU with moderately higher single core performance than current models offer AND additional cores per unit.
May I buy Ryzen 2700X now and upgrade to 3xxx later ? Cause I don't need games to run on ultra setting at 150 fps as I have 1080p monitor I'm planning to stay with my 960 4GB for a little more...
What I need at max is GTA V running at solid 60-70fps on at least half of the settings are on very high and arma 3 running at solid 50-60fps on med-high settings..
Also with the 2700x i should be able to upgrade to 3rd gen with only bios update...

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Listen to Dark Breeze - just WAIT for crying out loud. The new AMD Ryzen 3000 (Zen 2) CPUs will be out in June-July. The release of the new 3000 series CPUs will drive down the prices of the current AMD Ryzen 2000 series CPUs. In the end, you have a 'win-win' situation as you will have a lot more choices for your next PC build ;-)

May I buy Ryzen 2700X now and upgrade to 3xxx later ? Cause I don't need games to run on ultra setting at 150 fps as I have 1080p monitor I'm planning to stay with my 960 4GB for a little more...
What I need at max is GTA V running at solid 60-70fps on at least half of the settings are on very high and arma 3 running at solid 50-60fps on med-high settings..
Also with the 2700x i should be able to upgrade to 3rd gen with only bios update...

Certainly you might be able to do that, but I wouldn't count on it because it looks like a number of existing motherboards are not going to be supported with some of the upcoming Ryzen processors due to having insufficient VRMs and power delivery configurations. I would think that any X470 board and most of the B450 boards would be sufficient, but there may be many of the B350 or lower chipset boards that are not AND possibly a few of the lower end B450 boards as well. It's likely to be like in the old days with AM3+ where there were boards they SAID could be used with FX 8 core processors but in reality they simply could not handle the power demands of those chips.

TRENDING THREADS