Question 2700X with ASUS PRIME X470-PRO and 3200Mhz RAM

Nov 18, 2019
I'm looking to get a Ryzen 2700X with an ASUS PRIME X4700-PRO motherboard and Fury Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM.

The RAM is the PC4-25600C18 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit (HX432C18FBK2/32) and it's on the 2Gen RAM QVL list for the motherboard - so it's been tested by ASUS and approved.

If I fit everything (with the RAM in the A2,B2 slots), then...

I'm not looking to overclock the RAM any higher than it's specified 3200Mhz - but technically 3200Mhz is an overclock so I'm just wondering if I need to change any other settings for this setup to work properly.

I'll be cooling with the stock RGB Wrath Prism cooler that comes with the CPU.

Do I just go into the BIOS and select the XMP and then save the settings or do I have to do anything else to get the RAM working at 3200Mhz?

I'm looking to get a Ryzen 2700X with an ASUS PRIME X4700-PRO motherboard and Fury Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM.

The RAM is the PC4-25600C18 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit (HX432C18FBK2/32) and it's on the 2Gen RAM QVL list for the motherboard - so it's been tested by ASUS and approved.

If I fit everything (with the RAM in the A2,B2 slots), then...

I'm not looking to overclock the RAM any higher than it's specified 3200Mhz - but technically 3200Mhz is an overclock so I'm just wondering if I need to change any other settings for this setup to work properly.

I'll be cooling with the stock RGB Wrath Prism cooler that comes with the CPU.

Do I just go into the BIOS and select the XMP and then save the settings or do I have to do anything else to get the RAM working at 3200Mhz?
I was able to set DOCP to 3000 Cl16 and my Kingston RAM to 3600MHz and it works fine at 3600MHz and Cl 16.

Nov 18, 2019
Nice to know... I've no plans to OC the RAM though - just wanted to check all I needed to do was set the XMP and save.

Which seems very easy compared to the fuss I had with my overclocking my 8700K with 3200Mhz RAM. That needed all sorts of tweaks to the Maximus X BIOS to get it working....

Is loading the XMP profile and saving that really all I need to do?

:)

Nice to know... I've no plans to OC the RAM though - just wanted to check all I needed to do was set the XMP and save.

Which seems very easy compared to the fuss I had with my overclocking my 8700K with 3200Mhz RAM. That needed all sorts of tweaks to the Maximus X BIOS to get it working....

Is loading the XMP profile and saving that really all I need to do?

:)
This is not OC just making RAM work to it's full potential using it's XMP and DOCP (same thing as XMP in AMD's parlance),
OC was when I raised it to 4000MHz but latency was too high to do any good.

Nov 18, 2019
It's semantics really.... anything above the stock 2666Mhz is classed as an overclock, but you're right... I'm not overclocking the RAM - just using it at it's rated speed.

I was cautious because using 3200Mhz RAM at 3200Mhz with an Intel i7-8700K was really irritating.

It's brilliant that all an AMD 2700X needs is the XMP loaded and it works!

I've would guess that higher than 3200Mhz would mean the RGB Wrath Prism cooler might have problems... but from what I've read it looks to be a massive improvement over the breakfast cereal biscuit with a fan on that Intel supply as stock.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Memory overclock is a loose term and mostly exaggerated because it's mosty automated with XMP. Actual overclocking is when trying to push something beyond automatic limitations like cpu or memory XMP.

You really shouldn't have had problems with your Intel system. Either ram wasn't right for the board or something wasn't adjusted correctly.

Anyhow, good to know things have worked out for you.

Last edited: