27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
so please join us and sign-in at:
"Say NO! to Steam!"
petition available at petitiononline:

post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

top 10 things to know before buying half-life 2 and accepting steam
http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/messages/693411.html

vinCe

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote

> 27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
> so please join us and sign-in at:
> "Say NO! to Steam!"

I wouldn't want to be there when Walter catches up with you.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Vince" wrote

> "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote
>
>> 27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
>> so please join us and sign-in at:
>> "Say NO! to Steam!"

I guess the rest of the 50.000 been banned by Valve thinks it's ok to be
banned
Hmm who would have thought that

- Peter

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> abagooba zoink larblortch

> 27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!

Idunno. Steam makes for some mighty tasty broccoli, and it's such an
effective natural moisturizer, too.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:04:44 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!

Taking a quick look at the comments, yeah, they can.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:04:44 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
>so please join us and sign-in at:
>"Say NO! to Steam!"
>petition available at petitiononline:
>http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

Heck, and I haven't even signed it.

I don't believe in petitions, I believe in informing the public.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, riku wrote:

>> 27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
>> so please join us and sign-in at:
>> "Say NO! to Steam!"
>> petition available at petitiononline:
>> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
>
> Heck, and I haven't even signed it.
>
> I don't believe in petitions, I believe in informing the public.

everything is important when it comes to fight steam
valve's has many powerfull weapons, so we must use everything we have!
come on Riku! sign-in man!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:04:44 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
>so please join us and sign-in at:
>"Say NO! to Steam!"
>petition available at petitiononline:
>http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

....nor will I sign it, because I think the message and argument in
that petition is rather weak. I have pointed out my reasons why I
don't like Steam for single-player games.

What is the purpose of that petition anyway? What are you asking Valve
to do, to close down Steam? Or is that petition just a general "Shame
on you, we hate you!" directed to Valve?

A good petition would tell what the signers want Valve to do, for
example:

1. Make it possible to freely transfer individual Steam games between
accounts, and maybe also to freely unregister the CD key of the CD/DVD
version, in order to make it easier/possible to transfer the ownership
of individual Steam games, and generally make it easier to administer
one's Steam accounts, if someone has several of them (e.g. different
accounts for the different members of the family with their own choice
of games). This does not necessarily have to apply to banned or locked
Steam accounts.

2. Drop the online validation requirement for the single-player game
of the RETAIL (CD/DVD) version so that people who rather want to buy a
stand-alone version of a Steam game can buy one. Use other more
commonly used ways to protect your copyright on the retail CD/DVD
version, like DVD checks. People who hate DVD checks can buy the
non-physical Steam-only version with its online validation etc. More
choices to the customer = good.

3. Release Steam game updates also separately so that people can
download and archive them and update their Steam games manually with
the update of their choice, if they so wish. Just like they can do
with all their other PC games.

So doesn't this sound more useful petition? At least Valve could react
to its points and give their answers why they possibly disagree with
these points. At least it could be funny to hear their excuses. It is
like that one anti-piracy lawyer claiming that the only home-users who
want and need a broadband internet connection are pirates, others are
fine with a dialup connection for their web browsing and emails. ;-)

jeff

In article <g457u05618skmso14716l9r2mk4gqidqe6@4ax.com>, riku <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote:

>2. Drop the online validation requirement for the single-player game
>of the RETAIL (CD/DVD) version so that people who rather want to buy a
>stand-alone version of a Steam game can buy one. Use other more
>commonly used ways to protect your copyright on the retail CD/DVD
>version, like DVD checks. People who hate DVD checks can buy the
>non-physical Steam-only version with its online validation etc. More
>choices to the customer = good.
>
>3. Release Steam game updates also separately so that people can
>download and archive them and update their Steam games manually with
>the update of their choice, if they so wish. Just like they can do
>with all their other PC games.

Hear, hear.

>like that one anti-piracy lawyer claiming that the only home-users who
>want and need a broadband internet connection are pirates, others are
>fine with a dialup connection for their web browsing and emails. ;-)

I take it that lawyer didn't work for Valve... or else he just shot his employers in the other foot. ;-)

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Well said Riku.

My son has just brought HL1 and HL2. Although he will occasionally
play a MP game, in reality he simply doesn't have the time so he really
ONLY needs the single-player, OFFLINE mode.

At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).

--
Barry...

NoOne

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:36:06 +1100, "Bazza" <Bazza@privacy.com> wrote:

>Well said Riku.
>
>My son has just brought HL1 and HL2. Although he will occasionally
>play a MP game, in reality he simply doesn't have the time so he really
>ONLY needs the single-player, OFFLINE mode.
>
>At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).

Well there still isn't an option to not connect to play SP games in
the Steam bought version. So how exactly is it suppose to be easier to
play offline?

Bazza wrote:
> Well said Riku.
>
> My son has just brought HL1 and HL2. Although he will occasionally
> play a MP game, in reality he simply doesn't have the time so he really
> ONLY needs the single-player, OFFLINE mode.

Why does playing MP take any more time than playing SP?

> At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
> SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
> a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).

Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.

--
Walter Mitty
-

noone@nowhere.com wrote:
> Well there still isn't an option to not connect to play SP games in
> the Steam bought version. So how exactly is it suppose to be easier to
> play offline?

The option has *always* been there for HL2. (Offline mode for Steam was
addded around Spring 2004)

If you have not updated Steam in the past week, you wouldn't have
noticed that Offline mode was made easier to use, all you have to do now
with the latest update is simply press "cancel" when Steam is trying to
login, and it will offer you the option to play Offline.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:25:50 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>> SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>> a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
>>

>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.

Are you claiming other PC CD/DVD games (with no online activation)
don't validate your legitimate purchase at all?

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Vader des Vaderlands wrote:

> Sure when a product causes trouble and flat out refuses to work on
> some machines people have a right to complain until either it is fixed

again, i don't think you are seeing clearly
valve with steam put aside gamers without internet connection period
this is not "product causes trouble", this is a product which valve
decided could not function with a particular group of gamers
but is there REAL reasons for internet required in single-player hl2?
NO! there isn't!!!
to REALLY play hl2 you need a p4, lots of ram and a hardware graphic
accelerator, but NOT INTERNET ACCESS!!!
so valve decided to completely neglect a group of gamers only so they
can apply a plan to simply give them more power and make them more
money
do they have the right? off course they have!
do WE the gamers who have been put aside have the right to flame valve?
off course WE have!
f* valve a million times its what i say!

--

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, riku wrote:

> What is the purpose of that petition anyway? What are you asking Valve
> to do, to close down Steam? Or is that petition just a general "Shame
> on you, we hate you!" directed to Valve?

if you want my personal opinion, i would want steam to be declared
illegal and be completely banned from planet earth

> A good petition would tell what the signers want Valve to do, for
> example:
>
> 1. Make it possible to freely transfer individual Steam games between
> accounts, and maybe also to freely unregister the CD key of the CD/DVD
> version, in order to make it easier/possible to transfer the ownership
> of individual Steam games, and generally make it easier to administer
> one's Steam accounts, if someone has several of them (e.g. different
> accounts for the different members of the family with their own choice
> of games). This does not necessarily have to apply to banned or locked
> Steam accounts.
>
> 2. Drop the online validation requirement for the single-player game
> of the RETAIL (CD/DVD) version so that people who rather want to buy a
> stand-alone version of a Steam game can buy one. Use other more
> commonly used ways to protect your copyright on the retail CD/DVD
> version, like DVD checks. People who hate DVD checks can buy the
> non-physical Steam-only version with its online validation etc. More
> choices to the customer = good.
>
> 3. Release Steam game updates also separately so that people can
> download and archive them and update their Steam games manually with
> the update of their choice, if they so wish. Just like they can do
> with all their other PC games.
>
> So doesn't this sound more useful petition? At least Valve could react
> to its points and give their answers why they possibly disagree with
> these points. At least it could be funny to hear their excuses. It is
> like that one anti-piracy lawyer claiming that the only home-users who
> want and need a broadband internet connection are pirates, others are
> fine with a dialup connection for their web browsing and emails. ;-)

at this point in time i have an extreme prejudice again valve and steam
so the only thing i would want is to make steam go away altogether, but
i find your petition proposal very fair, and if you decide to do it, and
i think you should! i will sign-in
personally it addresses what i call the 3 main unnegotiable requirements
when it comes to a publisher selling games
.. availability in physical cd/dvd medium with a buy once use forever cost
.. no activation "ask for permission" humiliation
.. patches freely available and distributed in file format

so Riku i agree with your petition proposal, for me you don't need to add
anything at all cause it addresses all my personal issue when it comes to
steam, so please create it, and i'll be the first to sign-in, but please
do create it! don't make this only another idea but make it reality!
thanks!

--

Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> > At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
> > SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
> > a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
> >

> Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.

If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
Very weak, Walter.

--
Niko Wellingk

"Niko Wellingk" <naw@dna.removeme.fi> wrote in message
> Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > > At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
> > > SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
> > > a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
> > >

> > Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>
> If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
> Very weak, Walter.

Because it does such a wonderful job of stopping piracy! Why,
that's not too much to ask is it? To verify your purchase, to help
stop piracy?

Oh wait, the problem is, HL2 was pirated every bit as badly (or
worse) than any other game out there. 50000 steam accounts
closed for exploit downloading it on the first day of release.
Dozens of torrents of functional versions all over the web in
a matter of days.

In case Walter is still in denial, I suggest checking out this
site:

http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=9759ef9d0b60cfdad5d11999f92c0b76

Niko Wellingk wrote:
> Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>

>>>At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>>>SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>>>a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
>>>

>>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>

> If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
> Very weak, Walter.

You don't.

--
Walter Mitty
-
Useless, waste of money research of the day : http://tinyurl.com/6yh2f
http://www.tinyurl.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:50:37 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Niko Wellingk wrote:

>>>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>>

>> If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
>> Very weak, Walter.
>>

>You don't.

Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?

Lynley

Lynley James wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:50:37 +0100, Walter Mitty
> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Niko Wellingk wrote:

>>>If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
>>>Very weak, Walter.
>>>

>>You don't.
>

> Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?
>
> Lynley

You dont have to keep validating. You can do it once. Whats so difficult
to understand, and if youre on broadband flatrate, whats the problem :
the game isnt being re-validated - steam checks for updates.

--
Walter Mitty
-

"Lynley James" <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?
>
> Lynley

It didn't, and doesn't, no matter how much Walter claims
otherwise. People are *still* able to exploit steam and
get all the .GCF files for the whole game, for free. Right
through steam itself. I've posted the site twice now in
this thread, and I don't want to do it anymore because it's
giving info to people that probably shouldn't have it.

But Walter needs to be cuffed by the ear and dragged to
a screen to see that site and be forced to face up to reality
and get out of his dreamworld.

Steam did *nothing* whatsoever to stop piracy. And in
the process, it made thousands of customers extremely
pissed off about having to haul their machines to someone
elses house to install (if they had no internet connect), or
waiting hours on the first day for dial up to register.

Walter's entire house of cards is based on the fact that
Steam stopped or slowed down pirates. So he cannot
possibly accept that it did not, or the whole thing collapses.

And yet Steam is a complete and utter failure in this regard.
It didn't stop anyone, people got it right from steam itself,
and there are hundereds of full versions floating on the net,
no cd cracks, steam emulators.. Hell, people can still play
CSS online with cracked versions.

The *fact* is, Valve is incompetent on security issues. There
is no denying that. Unless you are in denial with your head
in the sand and arguing because you don't know how to do
anything else.

Wake up Walter!!!!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:21:10 +0000, Ben Cottrell
<bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

>noone@nowhere.com wrote:
>> Well there still isn't an option to not connect to play SP games in
>> the Steam bought version. So how exactly is it suppose to be easier to
>> play offline?
>
>The option has *always* been there for HL2. (Offline mode for Steam was
>addded around Spring 2004)
>
>If you have not updated Steam in the past week, you wouldn't have
>noticed that Offline mode was made easier to use, all you have to do now
>with the latest update is simply press "cancel" when Steam is trying to
>login, and it will offer you the option to play Offline.

Strange. I just tried that and it doesn't work. I hit Cancel repeatedly and it
still pops up with my Steam games list. If I hit it before the Cancel text
turns white the program just quits.

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>If you have not updated Steam in the past week, you wouldn't have
> >noticed that Offline mode was made easier to use, all you have to do now
> >with the latest update is simply press "cancel" when Steam is trying to
> >login, and it will offer you the option to play Offline.
>
> Strange. I just tried that and it doesn't work. I hit Cancel repeatedly
and it
> still pops up with my Steam games list. If I hit it before the Cancel text
> turns white the program just quits.

The only way I can get offline mode to work is to pull my
network cable or to disable my network connection temporarily.
Hardly even worth it, so 99% of the time I play, Valve is able
to see that I'm playing.

Jim Vieira wrote:
> "Lynley James" <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?
>>
>>Lynley
>

> It didn't, and doesn't, no matter how much Walter claims
> otherwise. People are *still* able to exploit steam and
> get all the .GCF files for the whole game, for free. Right
> through steam itself. I've posted the site twice now in
> this thread, and I don't want to do it anymore because it's
> giving info to people that probably shouldn't have it.
>
> But Walter needs to be cuffed by the ear and dragged to
> a screen to see that site and be forced to face up to reality
> and get out of his dreamworld.
>
> Steam did *nothing* whatsoever to stop piracy. And in

Rubbish. It discouraged casual copying. Steam is more tan that though. I
controls and manages the platform for the games. It provides updates. It
is not all about stopping you thieving games Jim.