2800+ clocked at 1250 MHz

WillSergent

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2005
I bought an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ about a month ago. I put it in and didn't notice that it was only running at 1250 MHz. Stupidity on my part yes, but it was soooo much faster than my old P3. I cannot figure out why its running at 1250. I followed the mobo directions to the dot.
My system is as follows:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Rosewill 512 DDR PC3200
Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 mobo (VIA KT600 chipset)
GeForce FX 5200
120 Gig 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive

If anyone could lend some advice i'd appreciate it greatly.
Thanks in advance,
Will Sergent

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
It appears that your FSB is set at 100 MHz instead of 166 MHz. You will need to change that either by using a BIOS option, or a jumper on the board itself.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>but it was soooo much faster than my old P3

ROFL.. well, just another testament to confirm my suspicion that a lot of people buy new computers because they don't know how to defrag or have PCs ridden with viruses and spyware. Sell them a new 1 GHz PC to replace their old 2 GHz one, and they'll be quite happy !

A bit more seriously though, the speedup you noticed could have been due to better harddisk, more ram or better videocard though. depends where you noticed it most. As for the solution, see above, go into the bios and set FSB to 166 and be amazed at how little difference 66% more cpu speed makes IRL :D

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
An Athlon at 1250MHz will compete nicely to a PIII 1.2GHz "Tualatin". But anyway, your answer was in the Motherboard's FAQ all along.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
But anyway, your answer was in the Motherboard's FAQ all along.

You've been here long enough to know that newbies dont read faq.. The only one who read them are experimented users, but only to spot errors in the faq...

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

WillSergent

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2005
Well, you couldn't set it in bios. It was a little switch that the mobo manual speaks of but isn't very clear about. (Whoever translated Gigabyte's manual needs some english lessons.) But actually my P3 was a 700 MHz processor. Trust me it makes a huge difference running XP and gaming. Thanks for your 'help' though. ;) And btw, I actually do know how to defrag and get rid of virus' and spyware. And I didn't buy this computer. I built it myself. Anyways...
Will

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by WillSergent on 04/10/05 03:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>