280x Bottleneck with Ahtlon x4 760k?

LtheVG

Reputable
May 3, 2014
Hello guys,

Last week I got a 280x from msi in my mini-itx.
It replaced my 660 from msi because I wanted more performance
But I have not got any improvement with the new card and I think it's bottlenecked by my cpu which is a AMD Athlon x4 760k.
I know it is not the best cpu but it shouldn't down my card that bad: only 30-50 fps in bf4 with mantle on, no aa, no blur and no ambient and all settings high.

My system: CM elite advanced 120
MSI fm2-a75ia-e53
8gb crucial ram (one of the cheapest 2 sticks)
AMD Athlon x4 760k
XFX 550w pro

I use a 1080p TV/monitor.
Can someone please tell me if I have a bottleneck or just a weird problem. (not my drivers all uptodate and fresh w8 install)

LvG

**EDIT**

I am able to upgrade mobo and cpu if neccessary ( can someone advise me with that :))

Solution
well on ultra with full graphic settings + mantle a r9-280x+760k should be hitting around 36fps

I'd say you're expectations for that cpu and gpus are a bit too high. turn the settings down to high, or take off AA, and i bet those FPS will jump through the roof. That said you'd get no better performance with a better cpu. an i7 will get about the same performance with that gpu (thanks to mantle the difference between a low powered athlon II, and a i7 are almost completely eliminated, that's mostly what mantle did).

Overclocking your cpu probably won't help. You can try but i doubt it will gain you much. In the end, you're probably better off turning down the settings like EVERYONE else without a 780/780ti/r9-290/r9-290x/titan does.
well on ultra with full graphic settings + mantle a r9-280x+760k should be hitting around 36fps

I'd say you're expectations for that cpu and gpus are a bit too high. turn the settings down to high, or take off AA, and i bet those FPS will jump through the roof. That said you'd get no better performance with a better cpu. an i7 will get about the same performance with that gpu (thanks to mantle the difference between a low powered athlon II, and a i7 are almost completely eliminated, that's mostly what mantle did).

Overclocking your cpu probably won't help. You can try but i doubt it will gain you much. In the end, you're probably better off turning down the settings like EVERYONE else without a 780/780ti/r9-290/r9-290x/titan does.

Solution

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
sorry to hijack a bit but i currently have a amd phenom x4 810 and a gtx 760. I will upgrade if a local deal comes up, or when the haswell refresh has arrived for motherboard reasons. Some people say games are becoming less cpu dependent, but is there any value to turning down any settings if it is all gpu bound for high graphics.