Hello All. MY pc specs are
i74790k
corsair PSU 750w gold
hyperx savage 8gb ram
gigabyte gaming 5 motheboard
2 toshiba ssd's
and the propably faulty one GIGABYTE GPU 290X WINFORCE

i have build this pc 4 years now

i have played lots of hours on demanding games such as pubg over(1500hours only at pubg)

today i was in lobby and my pc freezed on black screen, i tried several restarts, i tied to restore windows again and again black screen. i wiped all data from ssd's and i cleaned installed windows 10! when i finally installed the windows the moment i installed the latest graphic card drivers Black screen and the pc freezed once more.

i removed the graphic card from the case and i plugged the dvi cable to the motherboards graphic card. Everything is working fine.
i used ddu to wipe the amd drivers and then i install the graphic card again in the pc case. the thing is that when i installed drivers for the 290x pc freezes and i get black screen. i believe that my card is broken.. any ideas.?

So it's only the drivers causing it to crash, could be a faulty BIOS in the card. I'd look to flash the BIOS on the card, but you'll have to do it on the basic display adapter, as obviously you can't install the drivers without crashing it and you need the card in.
The BIOS for that card will be easy to find, but follow the instructions carefully as it can kill the card if something goes wrong....but I'd take the risk on a card like yours.

There should be no need to flash the bios on a card that was working perfectly fine for four years. I've never seen or heard of anybody releasing card specific drivers that REQUIRED you to reflash the bios on the card. In 35 years, I've never had to flash a card's bios in order for it to work in the way in which it was intended.

I agree, there are situations and circumstances where flashing the card bios to a newer version might be desirable, but it is not necessary to do that ONLY to get the card that was already working, to work. Plus, it's ALWAYS a VERY BAD idea to try and flash new firmware to a graphics card or motherboard that is having problems. Good way to brick something.

This is either strictly an incompatible driver, a bad card, a bad motherboard or a bad power supply. I'd put money on it.

rallye21

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
The psu is 4 months old! i changed it because the last i had was fried. the previous PSU was EVGA, this one is corsair.
Rest of computer is working fine with the on board graphic card.. i tried old drivers, 6 months old drivers and the newest one.. noone is working. everytime time monitor shuts down while installing the driver and you can hear the sound of new devise installation the black screen and computer freezes

rallye21

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

The psu is 4 months old! i changed it because the last i had was fried. the previous PSU was EVGA, this one is corsair.
Rest of computer is working fine with the on board graphic card.. i tried old drivers, 6 months old drivers and the newest one.. noone is working. everytime time monitor shuts down while installing the driver and you can hear the sound of new devise installation the black screen and computer freezes

rallye21

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

this cant work for me, because i dont have black screens in random times, i always have black screen. i cant log in to windows to do all this stuff this article is suggesting.

UPDATE on my case
i flashed my bios to the newer version - didnt worked
i used another pci slot - diddnt worked
i installed the dvd rom drivers that came with my graphic card and when i got black screen and pc freezed i noticed a strange sound coming from GPU, like a car working on idle. i unistalled the driver and tried to install again the latest driver black screen again without this car like sound. after black screen i managed to boot in safe mode and i went to device manager my card was there and drivers logs said that drivers was succesfully installed, but when i checked gpuZ and MSI afterburner they couldnt even recognize the graphic card. i booted again on normal mode and again black screen after mobos postscreen and pc freezed.
Removed the card and plugged the dvi to i7s on board card and everything is working as a charm.

i think my card is dead.

some more information about this card. i have played over 2500hours CS go on ultra settings and 1800 hours PUBG.
i think those intensive gaming hours maybe broke something special in it. im saying that because the card without drivers can give me video but when drivers are there... BOOM.

im about to smash this card, any last few words, ideas? i think i ve tried everything.

The only thing that i didnt do because this goes out of my knowlegde is to Vbios this card.

Does the card have display during POST or in the bios, at all? Is it only after Windows starts loading that the display disappears? If so, then it makes it a little less likely that it's actually a bad card. Obviously, it's still possible though. A lot of these cards were bad right out of the box, much less after all the hours you've put on it.

Are you running Windows 10? Did you install the recent fall update? Have you tried the brand new AMD drivers, version 18.10.2 that are compatible with the new Windows version?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-290x

rallye21

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

the card has display on post screen and in windows without the drivers installed. after the installation it has only video on bios menu. when it tries to load on windows black screen appears. i have installed the latest windows updates and graphic card driver..still black screen

Guess it pretty much has to be the card or the power supply then. Basic drivers use far less power than card specific ones, so when the drivers are installed and it tries to run normally, if there is a lack of power it's not going to run right.

I think I would try the card in another system or try another card in this system before saying for sure that it has failed though.