2950x running hot

Jan 4, 2019
Hi first post here.

I have just bought my 2950x and an air cooler (noctua) and in the bios my chip reports the temp as 30°C but once in windows many temp programs report it as high 50-60° Idle... And a stress or bench it will quickly reach 90°C but stay just below or on 100°C... This does not seem right at all.

I don't know if this is just incorrect temp readings or if something is wrong with my setup somewhere...

I also felt the heat pipes and they are not warm at all, leading me to believe that it is wrong temps...

Would love to know if there is a problem or if everything is OK and it's just incorrect temps.

May 4, 2019
I have similar results with the 2950X. The bios temperature is reported with the 27C not added in, but the OS tools seem to report with the 27C offset added. A reported temperature of 95 is equivalent to a bios reported temperature of 68, AFAICT. AMD did something weird with these processors as far as the temperature sensors are concerned. There may be tools for reporting individual core temps, but I have not found them for linux.

That said, I have a problem getting the temps down from the 95C throttle point running a load like the Mersenne primes search. I have tried the Noctua air cooler and now have an EK metal water block with a 240 mm radiator, and the results are are the same - the CPU quickly goes to 95 and throttles back a bit from the PBO max of 4.1 GHz. It typically runs somewhere between 4.0 and 4.1 GHz at the 95C temperature.

The problem I'm seeing is that the water block does not seem to heat up much, typically staying around 30C, which is just 5-10 C above the ambient. There is also not a great deal of heat coming from the radiator, compared to the i7-9700K with a similar cooling setup. I have reseated the block several times with different amounts of grease and even different brands of grease, with little change in temperature and performance.

Suggestions or commiserations welcome.