Question 2950x temperature

kiberniths

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
Hello I recently build a computer using 2950x threadripper. The other parts of the machine is : an x399 taichi asrock motherboard a coolermaster liquid 360ml 1660 ti card. The problem is that the reading temperature in the bios is 65C on idle while when I measure it in core temp program shows a changing reading number between 29C to 40C. Which one is the correct number on idle temperature? Why is there so much difference on numbers between the two? Is it normal for this cpu to have 29C to 40C while it's idle? On an older pc that I had which was an Intel 4930k cpu with water cooling that number was between 20C and 30C and seems to me that 2950x is hotter cpu....

16 cores will generate some heat under load...; and, what we consider 'idle' still has background tasks opening/closing/starting within Windows, as HWMonitor and task manager will show, so, it's possible the 40C temps are seen when the CPU ramps up clock speeds for brief bursts of activity...

Does your water block almost cover at least 3/4 of the IHS, or is it one of the early, slightly too small circular ones not really large enough for Threadripper?