Question 2950x workstation help

Jun 6, 2019
Hello! I'm new to a lot of computer stuff so bear with me. I have a very expensive build that I have been putting together with a friend for awhile now. I have a basic understanding of parts and what I prefer but I will admit my friend helped me put everything together in the end. my build is as follows:

• CPU: AMD 2950x Threadripper
  • Mobo: ASUS Rog Zenith Extreme Alpha
  • GPU: MSI Lightning Z 2080ti
  • Ram: 32GBs ( 4x 8GB ) Corsair Vengence RGB 3600MHz
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum
  • Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72 360mm AIO liquid
  • Memory: Samsung 970 evo 1TB M.2 SSD / 1TB Seagate HDD
  • Case: Couger Panzer EVO RGB full tower
I know as far as builds go it could be a lot better. I chose the parts above because i plan on pursuing a career in 3D modeling with blender and i loved the performance in that area of the Threadripper CPUs but also i am a gamer and i bought the lightning because it is my most favorite GPU I've ever seen ( yes primarily for looks but from what i understand it still does amazing performance-wise ). I don't mean to be the snotty rich kid and i am by no means at all that. I've been saving the money for a nice gaming computer for 6 years. and finally bought it all, did my research and put it all together with my friend. i absolutely adore it and hold it as my prized possession. but getting into the downsides I'm noticing quite a few flaws in my goal and was wondering what you all suggest i do to fix them.
Currently i wanted to upgrade my storage 2TBs is not very much, especially using blender. I was going to upgrade to anywhere from 8-14 TBs in an HDD but have not had the chance as a pretty severe problem ( from what i understand ) has appeared. My CPU under load will reach 65-75 degrees Celsius very easily and it makes me extremely nervous to see it that high. i only have the pre-applied thermal paste on the cpu cooler right now, but i did order some grizzly Cryonaught thermal paste that i am going to replace it with when it arrives. my current setup has 7 x 120mm fans 4 with the computer and 3 with the NZXT cooler. I have it set with 3 fans on the front as intake with the CPU inter cooler directly behind them. I have the 3 NZXT fans mounted on top of the case pushing air out as exhaust, and the final fan on the single open slot on the back pushing air out as exhaust as well. I'm super against Air coolers even though i know they have been proven to work better, they are extremely ugly and i have specifically picked some of the parts in my build so i can show them off through my glass case. is there a AIO liquid cooler that i could do better with? and i would maybe look into a custom CPU liquid cooling system but i have no clue where to even start. Could i have my fans mounted better? ( i just remembered it should be noted i did take the glass off the front and top of the case so the fans are not suffocating i only have the side panels on ) i just feel like there is so much un-tapped potential with my current build that i am not taking advantage of and I'm praying that I'm not hurting or bottle necking anything. i have built 2 computers prior. one of which was my first gaming rig and much much cheaper and more simple. Any assistance or good tips for any of these parts would be super appreciated. i am completely settled on the 2950x and the lightning Z though so please do not start recommending different parts in those categories thanks! - Sushii ( Steve )

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The AIO you've picked out, although has a large surface area on the fin stack, the cooling block isn't wide covering as the TR's heatspreader. ts for this reason people often turn to Noctua for their cooling solution or purchase an AIO that has a full coverage. In fact your build would've benefited from a custom watercooling loop considering how you're dead against air cooling, which is far cheaper and better performing.

Jun 6, 2019
The AIO you've picked out, although has a large surface area on the fin stack, the cooling block isn't wide covering as the TR's heatspreader. ts for this reason people often turn to Noctua for their cooling solution or purchase an AIO that has a full coverage. In fact your build would've benefited from a custom watercooling loop considering how you're dead against air cooling, which is far cheaper and better performing.
i would happily invest in an air cooler if the ones that I've seen weren't all that horribly off-putting brown color. i know its stupid to be picky on looks but im exceptionally picky sadly, as for a custom loop i would love too but have no idea where to even start

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Noctua does make fans that are all black, just an FYI. Personally, I loathe the brown and black fans they have. I simply won't use them for that reason, even though I know they're one of the top fans out there. I've debated the all black fans from them, but I haven't convinced myself I really need them yet, as my temps using the Thermaltake fans on my Riing 360 are just fine for what I do.

I'm not sure if AMD's page is out of date or not, but the cooler you have is not listed as a Threadripper approved cooler. https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

Jun 6, 2019
Noctua does make fans that are all black, just an FYI. Personally, I loathe the brown and black fans they have. I simply won't use them for that reason, even though I know they're one of the top fans out there. I've debated the all black fans from them, but I haven't convinced myself I really need them yet, as my temps using the Thermaltake fans on my Riing 360 are just fine for what I do.

I'm not sure if AMD's page is out of date or not, but the cooler you have is not listed as a Threadripper approved cooler. https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper
- i agree i cannot get myself that brown color, and that's odd i also didn't know this page existed thank you very much! i have seen that Enermax literally makes a cooler that fits TR4 socket perfectly to the cold plate. but i also heard that it has a bad reputation, is this true?

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
- i agree i cannot get myself that brown color, and that's odd i also didn't know this page existed thank you very much! i have seen that Enermax literally makes a cooler that fits TR4 socket perfectly to the cold plate. but i also heard that it has a bad reputation, is this true?

I can't say for sure if that's true or not. I've not used an Enermax product in quite some time. I'm sure there would be probably a few reviews out there that would be able to answer any questions about it.

Sorry! Wish I had a better answer.