$298 Laptop at Wal-Mart Starts On Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hard to beat pricewise. It's even cheaper than the netbooks which we expected to be half that price!

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Same price as a netbook for more screen, a real keyboard, and a noticeable mount of extra processing and GPU power. Looks like a cheap win to me.

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Wow. That's incredible. I shelled out $1400 in 1989(?) for my x286 with 32MB HD. I don't remember how many kilobytes of ram it had ...

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Vista? No thanks.
Norton? Is the system too fast or something?
Compaq? I'll recommend it to people I don't like.
Nvidia 8xxx series laptop chips? I hope this isn't a clean-out of the last of the bad batch.

The rest of the specs seem adequate for a budget laptop but it's obviously not something that will replace the portability of a netbook.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]I'll stick with my Asus G51 Gaming monster, thanks. The kiddies can have that cheapo.[/citation]

No need for your uppity comment. Thumbs down.

I couldn't believe it when I saw it had a dedicated graphics card. Great deal, but I wonder what the battery life is like.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Wayoffbase[/nom]you forgot the rest..."at that's just a small sample of the battery and performance killing bloatware you receive absolutely free!"[/citation]

Reformat with Windows 7 or put XP on it until October 22.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I'd call it an appropriate cost for something basic, so if it fits your needs, good buy. I'd buy this before I'd ever buy a netbook, that is, if I actually shopped at Wal-Mart. Still, I'll take my Dell Studio XPS 13 over it any day.

kr33py

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Love them or hate them,there is no denying this is an amazing price !!!

Awesome Laptop for the price.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
This price was attainable buying amd dumping excess unsold stock in a recession and outdated chips, the supply won't last forever. You will come for the 300 dollar laptop but will buy the 500 dollar one when you find out its sold out. That is at least the hope of the walmart/best buy marketing teams.
Knowing my family, they will probally buy three after me telling them they are crap.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]I'll stick with my Asus G51 Gaming monster, thanks. The kiddies can have that cheapo.[/citation]

I'll stick with actually having a life instead of thinking a laptop can game, they can't and never will.

I have a desktop replacement gaming laptop and hate it, I would much rather have something with enough power to run windows 7 smoothly, play 1080p movies smoothly, and enough battery life to get through ONE movie, atleast 3 hours of battery life at load. I bet your "monster" G51 can't do that.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]I'll stick with actually having a life instead of thinking a laptop can game, they can't and never will. I have a desktop replacement gaming laptop and hate it, I would much rather have something with enough power to run windows 7 smoothly, play 1080p movies smoothly, and enough battery life to get through ONE movie, atleast 3 hours of battery life at load. I bet your "monster" G51 can't do that.[/citation]
Actually this days many laptops game just fine as long as they are well specced a laptop with a 1440x900 -1680x1050 resolution and anything above the gtx 260m or even the 9800m gts will play the latest games very well and since these kinds of laptops are meant to be desktop replacements the whole point of battery life is moot, secondly newer gaming laptops come with good processing power as well...i am not knocking desktops but these days good gaming laptops do the job just fine not everyone wants a desktop taking space.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Gotta love the included "HP Games powered by Wild Tangent" LOL

My Dad's been searching endlessly for a cheap, basic laptop. $500 was too much... $400 was too much... Netbooks were too small... Maybe now, at $300, he'll finally get off his cheap and buy one!

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Aww is this also for americans only? (i'm canadian) and since when was BB selling acers for 300 bucks? I've subscribed to their emails and they've never notified me...

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Yes! I can finally see it, the end of netbooks is comming. Companies have finally realized they can easily make a real laptop and sell it for as cheap as the current netbooks.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Netbooks.. bah. I think most people buy netbooks for the same reason they bought a Wii. Low starting price and an emotional reaction to how different they are. But once they sink thier teeth into it they have to ask "where's the beef"?

Status
Not open for further replies.