Question 2990WX Throttling?

looprix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Hello everyone! I purchased the 2990wx back in September mainly for 3d rendering. It was great out of the box and running 100%. Recently I noticed while rendering in Keyshot the chip seems to be throttled. September 2018: 3ghz 100% all cores, April 2019: 2.23ghz ~65% all cores. I am not sure where to start, can someone please lead me in the right direction?

notes:
-Wendell's Coreprio does not seem to help.
-No other programs are running

AMD 2990wx, Enermax liquid cooling
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
128gb Corsair Vengeance LPX
Evga 1080 ti
Evga 1600 watt PSU

lee-souder-cpu-bench.jpg

looprix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Actually maybe it is an issue with Keyshot3d. If I render with Cinebench full 2990WX power is enabled:

lee-souder-cinebench.jpg

The only issue now is my Cinebench score should be ~5000 not ~4500. Any thoughts on this would be great!

-Lee

AMD 2990wx, Enermax liquid cooling
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
128gb Corsair Vengeance LPX
Evga 1080 ti
Evga 1600 watt PSU

There's been a few Windows patches that have changed the way memory configuration is handled by the kernel, so you may have to do some reading about recent patches that may have broken it, again. Other than that, the temperatures theory holds the most water to me.

Cheers!

looprix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
There's been a few Windows patches that have changed the way memory configuration is handled by the kernel, so you may have to do some reading about recent patches that may have broken it, again. Other than that, the temperatures theory holds the most water to me.

Cheers!
I am looking at the "CPU(Tctl)" temp which is about ~94c. This is alarming :( My initial though was also a bad windows patch. Thanks!

I wouldn't run the computer much if it is going to run that hot. The max temps for the 2990wx are only 68c, and I would assume 94c is anything but healthy.
Normal ryzen CPUs have max temps in the 90s (ex: 95c for a ryzen 3 1200) but threadripper has a much lower max temp.

I would imagine the Asus software is subtracting room temperature? (usually 25°c)

The other option is to go check the BIOS settings and see if there's anything different from what you remember? Maybe the EPU settings are messing with the system performance? Power Profile in Windows? Etc...

Cheers!

looprix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Thank you all for your responses! After further investigation I found that the liquid cooler mount screws were a tiny bit loose. After tightening them my performance went up. BUT I am still not at 100%. My next step is to go out and purchase new thermal paste and remount.

Current status: on Load the ghz slowly drop and the voltage goes from 1.35v to .8v.

Yuka, the EPU is off thanks!

Any other advice is welcome :)

If making sure the CLC is working properly now improved things, then re-paste it and let us know after.

Like I said, the temperatures theory held the most weight and it seems like they were right. You also seem to know what you're doing in term of configuration, so I'm sure the advice we could give you is minimal.

That being said. I wouldn't disable the EPU "engine", as it also helps with power delivery to the CPU. You can leave it with the lenient profile (I can't remember the 3 settings it usually has in the BIOS) as it works really damn well for me. Also, if you have a MoBo with OC profiles, let it use the self-OC feature from Ryzen's core boost thingy. Looks like you're after more performance than efficiency, but I've found with my 2700X that letting the BIOS handle the OC through AMD's turbo shenanigans works wonders. I would imagine that should be the case for ThreadRipper as well.

Cheers!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah thats thermal throttling.

If you can get the temps under control then you should be all good.

Make sure the pump for your liquid cooler is getting 100% power if its from the motherboard, or get an adapter to run it straight off the PSU. Its fine to run the fans off the fan header for temp control.

looprix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

looprix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Threadripper 2990wx Thermal update: The Enermax has been RMA'd and hopefully the replacement (version 2) will be a polished product. In the mean time I just installed a Noctua NH-U14S and wow I am impressed! It is super Quiet and the TR is back to 3.20Ghz under load (from 2.60Ghz). Also it looks like the temp Maxed out at 58 degrees (from ~69).
Thank you all so much for your help! Now I am fully aware of Water cooler degradation.

Last edited:

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Threadripper 2990wx Thermal update: The Enermax has been RMA'd and hopefully the replacement (version 2) will be a polished product. In the mean time I just installed a Noctua NH-U14S and wow I am impressed! It is super Quiet and the TR is back to 3.20Ghz under load (from 2.60Ghz). Also it looks like the temp Maxed out at 58 degrees (from ~69).
Thank you all so much for your help! Now I am fully aware of Water cooler degradation.

yeah it shouldnt happen really, I have used my h105 for years with no problems. Must have been a QC issue by Enermax.

Jun 20, 2019
I experience some throttling on my 2990wx (stock). As far as I can tell from my Ryzen Master, temperatures are ok (max at ~60-61°C), PPT is at 250W. The CPU throttles all the way down to 0.6GHz for periods. Any ideas what may cause this?

jZt8Bn.jpg

AsusTek Prime x399-A
Nvidia Quadro P620
Some triple fan liquid stuff
KHX2933C17D4/16G