Question 2FA

May 12, 2022
I have a couple of questions:

1. I used 2FA for this site and had a code generated. It let me in and gave me codes. Could this screen be seen if I have malware and thus be used to hack my account?
  2. In gmail I clicked on the prompt that said I already had 2FA set up. Then my modem reset itself. Was I hacked? I have my router setup to NOT allow remote access.

Thanks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Could this screen be seen if I have malware and thus be used to hack my account?

Malware can see everything you can see + also what you even won't see (background programs).

Was I hacked? I have my router setup to NOT allow remote access.

:LOL: Now, that's funny. Not the possibility of you being hacked, but the reasoning of: "remote access denied = no hacks can be done".

Remote access is the ability for an authorized person to access a computer or network from a geographical distance through a network connection. Or in other words, when you're away, you can't use another PC to access your home PC. But that doesn't mean it's hack proof.

If you can connect to net just fine, then ISP servers will be accessing your router to send data packets back and forth. That's all legit and most users don't even know nothing about it.

Now, your PC being compromised, is another thing. And there's a to-do list, depending how severe the "hack" was.
  1. Change your log-in passwords. Bare minimum, on the site you suspect malware saw + your router psw. But preferably all passwords.
  2. If you suspect malware in your PC, run AV program. MalwareBytes is one of the best in that field. And it's also free.
  3. But if you suspect remote control of your PC: unplug the net cable, use USB thumb drive to put AV program installer on it on 2nd PC, install AV in your PC, run the scan and once your PC is clean, plug the net cable back in.
  4. Now if you suspect OS corruption (e.g ransomware or rootkits), then format your OS drive and do a clean Win installation. <- This will get rid of all malware and "remote access" your system may have.
And life lesson: do not click on links within e-mail. Unless you're absolutely sure that the link is legit.

Reactions: Alex Fare