2gb Dual Channel or 3gb Single Channel DDR2?

naomigurl

Prominent
Sep 1, 2018
I was given a Gateway ML6720 laptop, with and ancient by today standards Dual Core Pentium T2310 processor. The laptop is in near perfect condition. The downside is the 512mb of ram installed. The intel chipset has a limitation of 3GB of ram max. So with Operating Systems being and even applications like web browsers being such a memory hugs. How much of a performance hit will I get, if I installed the max of 3gb. Would it be better to stick with 2GB for Dual Channel Operation? Since I'm going back to school, this would be my "school laptop" if I can make it work. So I'm not talking anything crazy, like video editing. However, I would like it to multitask between a Web Browser, Office suite, and play some music. Im also gonna order a SSD for the laptop. Can I make this thing work?

ebaligod

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Looking at the laptop specs, it says it supports 4GB max memory. So I guess, 2x2GB sticks (dual channel too) would work (if you can still find them) better than 3GB. With an SSD to speed up virtual memory, I guess you can use it for a year or two through school.

https://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-ml6720-15-4-pentium-t2310-1-gb-ram-120-gb-hdd/specs/