Question $2k/3k VR & 3D animation build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Technoidy

Prominent
May 8, 2022
Approximate Purchase Date: Within 3 weeks

Budget Range: $2k-3k (preferably 2k) before shipping/etc

System Usage from Most to Least Important: VR gaming, online FPS gaming, 3D animation

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: What do you recommend?

Parts Preferences: Nvidia, Intel

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Never had a PC that wasn't a potato, have a little cash and want to treat myself.

Additional Comments: Will be making not-ultrarealistic 3D models & animations with Blender/Cycles. First time using VR, total budget is a hard $3k but that includes headset (will be getting Valve Index $999 kit), OS, and other non-PC component costs.

I know nothing about the current market. I only know Intel Core i9 = better than i7. I heard somewhere that a Nvidia 3090 was in some ways no better than a 1080TI. I "want" the best of the best if I can fit it in my budget, but looking at the price tag of a 3090 has me wondering if I'll actually notice any performance decrease with a 2070 or something, or some AMD alternative. I don't "need" 4k 100+ FPS, I just want to be able to play games like VRChat, Onward, Super Hot VR, Hitman VR, Beatsaber, etc. smoothly with decent quality settings and no lag/framerate drops.

I'll be making more styled animations rather than going for ultra realism (think Sintel vs. Unreal Engine realistic forest simulations). More concerned with any sort of lag during production than final render times, I doubt that will be much of an issue with modern GPUs. Are double graphics cards still a thing? Would that be worth looking into, possibly for a future upgrade?

I'll switch to the Corsair Rmx 850 2021: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/26...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020200-na

I don't know much about CPU coolers, but for only $13 more I'm going to go with the Scythe Fuma 2 rev. B just because it's natively 12700 compatible so I won't have all my parts but be waiting for weeks because they're short on mounting brackets.

Other than that, I'm having a hard time finding the XD80 anywhere for that price so I just switched it to a WD SN750. Also the Ventus 3x Plus keeps going out of stock so unless it's back in for $819.99 by the time I buy everything tomorrow morning, I switched to the Gaming Z Trio.

So final part list which I'll be buying tonight/tomorrow unless we have any objections here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k9pYd9

Thank you all for all your help! It's very appreciated.
Looks good.