2K and XP install problem

AgentSmith

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
Lets get dug in:
Formatted drive (FAT32), boot off CD, intalls drivers, goes 'Setup is starting Windows 2000'. The CD then spins down and it sits there. For hours. Literally. I left it for 3 hours the other day. Has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone know of a fix etc?
Core Specs:

Abit KR7A-133
Athlon XP 1700
Just so you know, 512MB PC 2100
IBM 75GXP (40GB)
Kyro II
Realtek 8683 (I think) NIC
Intel HaM Data/Fax modem
SB Live! 1024

I read on the MS knowledge base that XP has trouble (sometimes) installing with the RAM at full speed, so i downclocked it to 200Mhz (DDR), to no avail.

Also, again, the CPU runs at 40* idle so thats ok, and it has an enermax 350W PSU, which, again, is ok.

Any ideas?

Slowdown? What slowdown? Didn't you know this was a slideshow?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I had almost the exact same problem the other day with a Soyo Dragon Plus. Instead of booting off CD I booted off a Win98 boot diskette with ATAPI CD drivers, made sure I ran smartdrv.exe (not mandatory but speeds things up a whole hell of a lot), CD'd over to the i386 directory on the install CD and ran winnt.exe. Problem fixed.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

AgentSmith

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
Tryed it, failed. It still hangs on the installation screen. Its really [-peep-] me off because I have no idea what it could be. The worst part of it is, XP and 2K won't install yet Me/98 will.

Its has to be something NT related. The only other thing I can think of is NTFS but I don't know how to format the drive in DOS from FAT32 to NTFS, or whether it would actually make any difference.

I [-peep-] hate running windows 98.

Godamn shitty [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-].

BTW, does anyone know a decent IRC techie channel?

AgentSmith

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
I meant formatting my drive to the NT file system instead of the FAT32 file system, but I am unaware of how to do this.

After installing 2K on another machine and just swapping the HDD across, install a couple of drivers, running the service pack, playing CS for a few hours I thought it was all hunkey-dorey.

Unitl I booted up the next day:

Windows cannot find hal32.dll

[-peep-]. ah heck [-peep-] are fuckit [-peep-] wh0re.

So, I thought, as win2k is already installed, I'll just try again. Then it hung in the same place. So, I've given up and sent back the mobo to scan so hopefully it should be here by the end of the week. After receiving several file corruptions errors in windows and various other random places, I think that maybe the IDE controller is [-peep-]. Oh well. At least I get 2 new motherboards in 1 month.

Not bad!

TRENDING THREADS