2K built, need guidance.

Rajko Rj

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Hello ladies and gentlemen. Need a bit of help/input on my next build. Been looking at CyberP pc and such but am not sure i want to go that route due to negative reviews (used them before with mixed results). Issues is price in components almost seems to favor prebuilts.. Again issues is they use subpar generic components (pcu and such). Below is my current pick using pcparts picker website. Any help, improvements, suggestions are welcome..this would be my second built.. first one worked out great (with few minor hiccups) and has lasted me since 2014. I did upgrade to 1070 it to 1070 which (but wanna replace the whole thing). Thank you again all.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ljffvn

Solution
In that case, I'd just buy a 1080ti and be done with it.
No need to change anything else as everything is still relevant.
It is always nice to have "new everything" but I truly believe you don't need to spend all that money because your computer is already pretty good!
Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($328.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($186.92 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($200.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1228.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-15 01:48 EDT-0400

Get this and use GTX1070 from previous build for now. Next gen NVIDIA GPU launch is only months from now. I would recommend waiting for it and get New GTX2080 when launched.

lancerzero9

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Go to kinguin.net or SCDkey.com to buy Windows 10 Pro for $15-$35. Don't be a sucker and pay $100+

Also, dump the Seagate 2TB drive and the 850 evo. I know you want lots-o-storage, but at $2000 don't settle for that old tech.

With the money you will save from not paying full price for Windows 10 and not getting the HDD or the 850 evo, put that into getting the 500GB Samsung 970 evo M.2 for about $200 and the 500GB Samsung 860 evo for $130. Yes I know its like half the storage, but its WAY faster. Use the delete key brah and don't horde data. Also, no spinning disk anymore for a little more silence.

Also maybe you get a slightly higher wattage PSU. 650 watts is probably fine, but if you ever overlock that CPU and GPU and maybe add some other things to the build, you will be up against it in terms of power. An 800 watt is very similarly priced and will give you lots of future proofing.

I agree with most of Lancerzero9, but your CPU cooler isn't that great.
I just replaced mine with a Corsair h115i Pro - OMG! It is so quiet, you wouldn't believe it. It is worth every penny and more!
SSD Samsung m2 970 evo, 250GB for main drive $109.99
SSD Samsung 860 1TB $269.99
Or a decent HGST Drive - backblaze recommends them for reliability (http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018-have-been-published-4tb-hgst-hdds-very-reliable.html)

Rajko Rj

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
King Dranzer, i currently have Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor (3.5 GHz, 8 MB Cache, Intel HD graphics, BX80646I74770K) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO8TBQ0/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_Q2N-Ab908QMPH as my processor. Updating to listed one i picked should upgrade my performance a bit? Am a noob and not sure if its my processor that lags or the 1070. Being kinda old (got it in 2014) am guessing processor is slowing my gaming performance? I think i have 32gigs of ram as well but its also kinda old. I think its gskill something. Cant look at it as am at work. Thanks lancer and electro. I will look into those as well. Any opinions on sticking with 1070 for few months till 1080ti comes down or new cards come out?

If you already have that CPU, only upgrade if you want to.
I don't see you will get huge performance increases. The CPU you have now, you can keep and just get a better GPU and save yourself a lot of money.
If you list your current computer - maybe some of the things we said will make your current computer faster and better and save you $1000

Do you want just a gaming rig? Have you considered the AMD 2700X as that would be my choice for the next cpu upgrade if I had to do one. I currently have i7 4790k.
As much as I would choose AMD over Intel right now, it's the Next Generation I think my Computer will need an upgrade in 2019.

Rajko Rj

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
This is my current pc, one i am trying to upgrade or replace https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MrjDzy
Difference between whats in the link and following are: added 8 gigs of ram, replaces 780 with 1070 and my cpu cooler is hi100 or whatever the name is. Am just kinda surprised that my old processor is still considered OK after all these years. Also i added another ssd to install some games on but that did not improve much. I have a laptop with a 1060 that plays better then my desktop (only some games like Kenshi, warband). Rust seems to run a lot better in my desktop. This is my laptop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_ONO-Ab7RGN6J0
Also i dont know much about AMD and always went with Intel/nvidia. So not very educated on the differences and benefits. But seems like nvidias gpus are better at the moment then "comparable " amd cards?

In that case, I'd just buy a 1080ti and be done with it.
No need to change anything else as everything is still relevant.
It is always nice to have "new everything" but I truly believe you don't need to spend all that money because your computer is already pretty good!

Solution

Rajko Rj

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
So u think 1070 is the issue? Not the processor? Am ok with spending 2k to upgrade. Just was wandering if new cpu and ram will improve my performance until 1080ti comes down in price hopefully. Like if drazner's recommendation could hold me over for few months till it drops down. My biggest question/concern which part is underperforming at this current moment (could be all 3 lol).

The 1070 is a fast card, I think you have some other kind of problem.
Run ZHPCleaner and look for some malware.
You shouldn't have any problems running any game with that setup, unless you are running 4k res, then you would have slow down, but in 1080p there should be zero problems.

Rajko Rj

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Def no 4k. Other day i was playing mount and blade warband, 2012 game? In a large battle i tought my pc was going to explode as fps dropped so much and computer was whining so much. Could my power supply be lacking?